Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Do kitcherner for the shoulders and, yes mattress for the side seams. Take out Principles of Knitting from the library. It's an expensive book to buy, about $200 I think. That's why I said go to the library. It is so excellent for directions on seaming. Anotehr good one is Maggie Righetti, Sweaters in plain English.. Good luck. Be careful with the button band if it's a cardigan too. It can pucker soo easily..

I generally weave it together holding right sides together, facing towards me. However, a book from 1949 that I have been fortunate enough to inherit from my husband's Aunt sujggests single crochet using a the same size hook as needles used to knit. I haven't tried it yet but intend to when sewing together the blocks for an afghan that I am currently working on. I'd love to know it anyone else uses this method and how it works for them.

When I can have the same number of stitches on the shoulders, I knit the two pieces together at that seam, but holding front and back pieces on two needles held together, MAKE SURE THE # of Stitches is the same, and then knit together a stitch from front with a stitch from back, repeat and bind off when you have two stitches on the right hand needle...repeat across. This method of weaving shoulder seams together is awesome and barely shows at all! Sometimes the stitches are not even and you can't use this method though. For times such as these, or for other seams I use the backstitch. I learned it from my very first knitting class many years ago and I'm not sure if you can get a look at it online or not...it's hard to explain on here, but if you cannot find it, I"d be happy to give it a try, just repost and I will do my best to help. Sounds like you've got some other great suggestions to check out too

I used to do a lot of machine knitting on a standard gauge machine. It produced a very fine fabric. I crocheted all my seams together using the same fine yard, it gives you a small ridge on the inside of the garment but I think it looked very clean and professional.

Annette

I really like the single crochet method of seaming. I've done it with afghans and sweaters (right sides together). It is relatively easy to match up rows...and also easy to undo if they don't match.

Knittin Nan, I also like the method you use. It's called a 3 needle bind-off, if you want to look it up. It is hard to explain, but easy to do as long as the number of stitches is the same on both needles.

Not me!!! I have convinced myself I can do this.....even though it has been years since I did any REAL knitting.
I have just completed 2 grandson sweaters. One in chunky ..beautiful..other in Lion Homespun...hmmmm...no fun...it looks like it's 'used' after gentle washing and blocking.....lots of weaving came out.....was a hoodie pattern......which is square, not rounded, like I wanted....and the yarn split constantly, and raveled out badly......could I just vent about 50 muinutes? Never mind all that...I am going on to my third grandsons sweater.....damn the torpedos...full speed ahead!!!

Good topic and I will be doing this soon also...when you say crochet together do you actually do a single crochet or just a slip stitch...I would think the slip stitch would be enough? Also, do you do it so the 2 sides so they could open flat (as if you were sewing a seam together) or like having an overcast stitch...I hope this isn't confusing...

Jonsmum said:
I generally weave it together holding right sides together, facing towards me. However, a book from 1949 that I have been fortunate enough to inherit from my husband's Aunt sujggests single crochet using a the same size hook as needles used to knit. I haven't tried it yet but intend to when sewing together the blocks for an afghan that I am currently working on. I'd love to know it anyone else uses this method and how it works for them.
My grandmother used to crochet the side seams together, it gives the garment some stretch but you may need to add an extra stitch to the seam.It also makes it easier to undo the knitting so you can make it into something else. I was born when rationing was around and new wool was hard to come by. I had four differnet garments knitted from the same wool! Happy knitting. :p

Dave, that was an awesome idea! My grandmother always sewed mine together and then she died without leaving her secret. I have been mad at her for 30 years! I taught myself how. I tried the single crochet way, which I didn't like. I mattress stitch everything and it looks just fine. However, this is such a great idea - I am going to try it next time!

THANK YOU!

maggiemaehall said:
Dave, that was an awesome idea! My grandmother always sewed mine together and then she died without leaving her secret. I have been mad at her for 30 years! I taught myself how. I tried the single crochet way, which I didn't like. I mattress stitch everything and it looks just fine. However, this is such a great idea - I am going to try it next time!

THANK YOU!
My pleasure!

It's particularly useful on picture sweaters which continue over the shoulder. I once made a Vogue sweater with the theatrical comedy and tragedy masks, comedy on the front and tragedy on the back, the ribbons curled over the shoulders so it was critical to have them exactly aligned. It's also important with the cables on cricket sweaters. If I've spent a lot of time on something, I don't want to spoil it with an unsightly join.

Dave

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom