Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am jut finishing a cardigan for my grand daughter. The button holes were knit with one yarn over. The holes look a little "sloppy." I had chosen a larger button when I started the sweater but those will be a little snug to actually use now that I see the actual opening for each button. I would like to close each one a little using the same yarn (worsted weight) as the sweater. Can someone either explain a way to do this or direct me to a video (that would be even better) that could close a neaten these holes and then I can use a set of smaller buttons I have on hand. I just did a little research on making button holes and next cardigan I make I will use another method that creates a more finished button hole but for this sweater I need some help in making them neater and smaller.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah.. That is what I figured out when I searched... silk thread is apparently one choice but a little hard to find. Embroidery floss is a good substitute.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
fergablu2 said:
You coul finish it with a buttonhole stitch, but you would need to use a much finer weight yarn or maybe embroidery floss in a matching color.
This works out really well if neatly done. I find if I take my time and be sure every stitch is exactly as I want it before I move on to the next, I have a good outcome. If I am not careful---what a mess!

·
Registered
13,797 Posts
If you are in the United States...JoAnns sells Guterman (sp?) silk thread. The Guterman line also has man-made and cotton thread.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I had the same problem! I also do a neat button hole edging, if need be, or just reinforce the ends but I use the same yarn. Mostly I used double knitting and I just untwist the yarn and use one or two of the threads. I use a chenille needle which has a blunt end and big eye! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rosw...Now that is a great suggestion! I will be finishing the sweater today so ready for the buttons. This yarn will separate easily. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom