Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am just finishing up the last of 5 pieces for a beginner sweater jacket done in the garter stitch of bulky red 50/50 wool acrylic blend. I'm a sewer, but have never finished a sweater before. Should I use the mattress stitch and the same yarn as the sweater is knit from?

I appreciate your advice!

Also, where to go next? Since I started knitting again (about 40 years since my 4H project) I've knit a couple of small projects in addition to this sweater jacket. (A garter stitch dog sweater that is too small for my dogs and I haven't bothered finishing it yet, and a much appreciated rib stitched FL weight winter cap for my DH). I want to develop my knitting skills at a reasonable rate. Don't want to take on something way over my skill level and get discouraged - just baby steps!

Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
As to putting your garment together: Yes, I think mattress stitch. Your yarn as is sounds a little bulky for the sewing part. Can you strand it, and just use one strand for that purpose?

No matter what you decide to choose to knit next, you can find a simple version online and for free. If you haven't tried cables, start with something that has a single cable just going in one direction. That is a baby step towards doing the more intricate versions.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Vic, if you haven't already joined Ravelry, consider doing so. It's at: http://www.ravelry.com/ Joining is free and they have oodles of free patterns, as well as lots for sale. Go to the Patterns tab and click the link to their Pattern Browser. You can select the type of project you want to make, yarn weight, skill level, etc. Trust me :lol: you'll find plenty of inspiration!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wow! I did a lot of scarves and dish cloths before attempting a baby sweater. I stretched my skills by learning to use the double pointed needles and making top down socks. I started small and worked up to adult size. I have found a lot of cowl patterns for working in the round and using different stitches that are fun. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
if you wish to stick with sweaters I suggest learning to knit one entirely in the round..including sleeves..using circular knitting needles..when you are done..you are done!..no seams unless you want a cardigan..to research try library and books by Elizabeth Zimmerman ( who will teach you how to do this without a pattern to follow. there are other books if you feel you need more instruction..either "the sweater workshop " by Jacqueline Fee..or "knitting in the old way " by Priscilla A. Gibson-Roberts. Make a few sweaters this way..you will be free of figuring out someone else's pattern instructions forever. and well on your way to becoming a knitting sweater expert..you might even become a knitwear designer...EZ got a lot of designers started as she revolutionized knitting, especially for Americans..

these books are worth the money , with these alone you will have enough for years of sweater construction.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
On another thread the ladies recommended learning new and more complicated stitches by knitting washcloths and dishcloths in those patterns. The yarn is less expensive so they are great learning projects.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom