Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished knitting a new cardigan and am eager to finish it as i am going on holiday next week and it will be perfect if the weather is a little cooler in the evenings. However i was just reflecting on how much i enjoy finishing a garment. There is something magical about how blocking transforms a garment and the delight of sewing it up. It always puzzles me when fellow knitters say how much they dislike that part , am i strange but to me it is a delight

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
I'm one of those who doesn't like the finishing process - at least for garments I have to sew together. I think part of it is that I'm kind of scared that once I get it together it won't turn out as I envisioned it and/or that it won't fit. I don't have that problem with scarves, hats, etc where I can see it actually take shape.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
Oh I agree with you. I love every process of knitting and crochet, also quilting is the same for me.. putting my extra little touches on the final piece is exciting to me.
It good to hear from some of us that feel the same way.. I like the fussyness of it.
lizmaxwell said:
I have just finished knitting a new cardigan and am eager to finish it as i am going on holiday next week and it will be perfect if the weather is a little cooler in the evenings. However i was just reflecting on how much i enjoy finishing a garment. There is something magical about how blocking transforms a garment and the delight of sewing it up. It always puzzles me when fellow knitters say how much they dislike that part , am i strange but to me it is a delight

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Finishing up a garment is really satisfying. It's like over the years when I had a family at home I used to can all me fruits, vegs, jams, etc.etc. It was so neat seeing the finished projects. I really preferred canning to freezing.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is something about having to match everything up and after the work and sometimes tribulations of a tricky pattern its wonderful forming a wearable garment that started out life as balls of yarn.
I am glad that there are people out there that get the same pleasure as
I do.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Yes, it does, but I also have an absentminded husband, a daughter, grand daughter, a dog and two cats in here. Any other human will leave the bedroom door open to go to the bathroom off my bedroom, and the cats love to lie on the wool, and the dog loves to chase the cats. I have, on occasion, when blocking one of the really lacy shawls, locked the door behind me. Of course, himself and DD will simply unlock the door.... Which is why I usually block a piece after they've left for work and school on a day when I don't have to go to work until 11 <G>.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
mousepotato said:
Yes, it does, but I also have an absentminded husband, a daughter, grand daughter, a dog and two cats in here. Any other human will leave the bedroom door open to go to the bathroom off my bedroom, and the cats love to lie on the wool, and the dog loves to chase the cats. I have, on occasion, when blocking one of the really lacy shawls, locked the door behind me. Of course, himself and DD will simply unlock the door.... Which is why I usually block a piece after they've left for work and school on a day when I don't have to go to work until 11 <G>.
GOTCHA!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
mousepotato said:
And your dog isn't tall enough to jump on the bed, mine, however, loves to jump on it and run across it.
Blocking is definitely a challenge at my house too. My three little dogs, smallest 3½ lbs biggest 10 lbs, have no problem jumping on my bed, getting on the top of a 6' bookcase or wherever they want to go, and if something is Mom's they must play, sleep, run on or drag it around. I close the gate, but the little stinkers can sneak in around me when I have to go in the bedroom then they make a quick "tour" over the bed to see why Mom locked them out. LOL

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You do have an uncooperative family don't you if they where mine the air would be blue. However sometimes you have to be unroman and go around the hills!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom