Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got down my mother's präzisa knitting machine from the attic tonight. No idea how old it is. It's been in the family for as long as I can remember. I want to see if it still works.
I have the manual along with a Home instruction course complete with vintage knitting patterns. I'm the assuming course came with the machine.
The course if for a Passap speed-o-knit not präzisa.
I think I understand how the präzisa works.
Just curious if anyone out there has used a präzisa? I would say this machine is circa 1955 - 56.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have a Passap 401 and its ribber, which is the one called the Speed-O-Knit in the US, and it works a treat. Made in Switzerland. I grew up using this model of machine (although mum never had a ribber) and because the knitting isn't usually weighted as you knit, it is more like hand knitting and it seems much easier to match to hand knitting patterns.

Not sure if the machine you are talking about is just another country's labelling of the same machine, but if it is you should have no problem using it. Sort of a soft green colour enamel finish, with a little trap door on the right hand end of the bed for tool storage?

I also have quite a good collection of the original Passap patterns designed for this machine from the 1950s, and they come up quite often on ebay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The machine I have was made in West Germany. The bed is attached to the carrying case. No doors for tools - these seem to fit under the bed.
There is an option for a yarn feeder, but I don't have that attachment.
The use seems simple Lay the yarn over top of needles making sure starting end (end where slide is coming from) is caught under the outside sinker which are the do-hickeys that are in between each needle.

http://treasured-finds.net/Prazisa_Knitting_Machine

·
Registered
678 Posts
Inspired said:
I got down my mother's präzisa knitting machine from the attic tonight. No idea how old it is. It's been in the family for as long as I can remember. I want to see if it still works.
I have the manual along with a Home instruction course complete with vintage knitting patterns. I'm the assuming course came with the machine.
The course if for a Passap speed-o-knit not präzisa.
I think I understand how the präzisa works.
Just curious if anyone out there has used a präzisa? I would say this machine is circa 1955 - 56.
Hi Inspired,
I have a vintage Prazisa with ribbing attachment. It still works. It doesn't have a sponge bar to worry about. Just a good cleaning might be in order. Great old machine.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Inspired said:
We cleaned it up today and I have to admit. I love it too. SOOO much easier than the USM from bond and a lot less hassle. Just wish I had the ribbing attachment.
Yes the ribber is an extra accessory that you could purchase back in the day. But yes very much better than USM. I have one of those to. I guess when beginning to machine knit it's as good as any. I have made many items on my USM, but did graduate.

I have the Prazisa, Corona CN9N Jumbo knitter, a Singer LK100 and my new Singer SK840.

I am well set for knitting machines. I just love it...My son said when I got the SK840 "do you have enough knitting machines?" I said do you have enough chain saws? lololol Never!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Inspired said:
I'm very pleased with how the Präzisa works. I made a sweater for my dog and played with stitch patterns found in the manual.
I am still loving my vintage C. 1950 Prazisa. I was wondering if Inspired was still pleased?

It still knits great. I still love knitting on it and I really love looking at it.

After not using it for over a year I got it out yesterday and give it a once over and oil.

Took so pictures then decided to knit a swatch on it to see how good it still knits and how even the knitting is.

I have to say that even though time has moved on with more technology and the like, my more sophisticated machines get the job done, does a beautiful job but, those machines don't make me smile like my German Prazisa Knitting machine.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom