Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm TRYING to knit a triangular shawl with this yarn - I found a pattern on the Internet which said start with 3 sts then in increase 1 stitch at the beginning of each row until 50 sts ( I went to 60) then just knit straight. The lovely lady in LYS said this was wrong that I had to keep increasing until I had used all the yarn. Is this going to be big enough to be a shawl wrap or should I go onto another ball. Can anyone give me approx measurements for a triangular shawl? HELP. PLEASE?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I have looked at several patterns, most of them tell you to continue to knit and increase until you reach the desired length? The only pattern I found with measurements said it was 60 inches wide and approx 40 inches at the point. So it really depends on what you want, a cover for your shoulders or something larger to wrap around you.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I am away from home at the moment, so cannot check, but I am pretty sure that when I have used Firefly to make scarves, I have had about 20 stitches on the needle, more if it has been a stole or wrap. 50 or 60 stitches does not really sound enough for the widest point of a triangular shawl. I will have a look on Friday once I am back home and let you know!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Do you have a link to the pattern? Most shawls block a lot larger than it looks on the needles. But if this is straight stockinette, there might not be as much give, and from your description, it sounds like it might be straight knitting. But garter stitch seems to have a little more give. Maybe if we saw the pattern, we could give better answers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
m.r.b. said:
Do you have a link to the pattern? Most shawls block a lot larger than it looks on the needles. But if this is straight stockinette, there might not be as much give, and from your description, it sounds like it might be straight knitting. But garter stitch seems to have a little more give. Maybe if we saw the pattern, we could give better answers.
Sorry I do not have a link. Thanks for your interest - I am just going to keep going for a bit more and then check it! X

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yarn Happy said:
I have looked at several patterns, most of them tell you to continue to knit and increase until you reach the desired length? The only pattern I found with measurements said it was 60 inches wide and approx 40 inches at the point. So it really depends on what you want, a cover for your shoulders or something larger to wrap around you.
Thank you yarn happy - that gives me a measurement to work on x

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Hi...I used to knit a lot of scarves with the firefly yarn and always needed 2 balls for a scarf because the balls are only 25g each.
Sounds to me that you would be unlikely to get a shawl out of a ball of 25g of Firefly and you would probably need to keep going increasing, otherwise you would end up with a very small neckerchief style scarf.
I've never blocked the Firefly yarn. It never needed it because it's nylon.
Hope this is of some help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom