Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my first ever hat finished. I'm satisfied I guess with my knitting but I don't like this pattern. If I make another one I will put ribbing all the way down, not knit stitch for the first 8 rows. I will also make it taller so there will be enough to turn up the bottom. I may even look for another pattern. But for my first one I'm satisfied. Hopefully it will get better as I learn.

This was also my first time using DPN. I didn't like them much but it wasn't bad. It surprised me.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
What a beautiful bright colour! I love the pattern, and yes, I would like to be able to turn the bottom up too; I make mine longer so I can do that...it always seems to fit better! By the way, what does dpn mean? I'm pretty much a notice to anything other than very easy, basic knitting, but I'm ready to grow!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Oh yes, of course it would! Will remember that!! You would use them the same as the needles to knit in the round, joined by nylon like fishing line, wouldn't you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grannybaba said:
What a beautiful bright colour! I love the pattern, and yes, I would like to be able to turn the bottom up too; I make mine longer so I can do that...it always seems to fit better! By the way, what does dpn mean? I'm pretty much a notice to anything other than very easy, basic knitting, but I'm ready to grow!!
I made this for one of my grand daughters to match the scarf I made her. I made this exactly how the pattern called. Since I had never made a hat I went by the directions. The pattern looked like the ribbing that started just after the 8 knit rows would go all the way to the top of the crown. But it didn't. To me it looks more like a girl/woman hat the way it worked up, but here is the pattern. http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/give-him-rib-hat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grannybaba said:
Oh yes, of course it would! Will remember that!! You would use them the same as the needles to knit in the round, joined by nylon like fishing line, wouldn't you?
I was using circular needles so once you start decreasing it gets too small and you then switch over to the double points to finish the hat. The pattern called to make it flat and then sew it together when finished. I just made it in the round to begin with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
laurelarts said:
It is lovely and I like the way the bottom edge looks. It's different...unique.
Dpn means double pointed needles.....
I like the way the bottom looks also. I think it makes it look more feminine. I need to find another color to match the other grand daughters scarf and I will make another one of these for her.

For the 3 boys I will find something different. I like finding a variety of things now while I'm learning so I can experiment with different stitches and patterns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Debbie0406 said:
Grannybaba said:
Oh yes, of course it would! Will remember that!! You would use them the same as the needles to knit in the round, joined by nylon like fishing line, wouldn't you?
I was using circular needles so once you start decreasing it gets too small and you then switch over to the double points to finish the hat. The pattern called to make it flat and then sew it together when finished. I just made it in the round to begin with.
I understand! I have used in the round once and was very excited to not get it twisted as I'd been warned. I know now why we need dpn's (wow I sound like a knitter already lol) as well!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Debbie0406 said:
Grannybaba said:
What a beautiful bright colour! I love the pattern, and yes, I would like to be able to turn the bottom up too; I make mine longer so I can do that...it always seems to fit better! By the way, what does dpn mean? I'm pretty much a notice to anything other than very easy, basic knitting, but I'm ready to grow!!
I made this for one of my grand daughters to match the scarf I made her. I made this exactly how the pattern called. Since I had never made a hat I went by the directions. The pattern looked like the ribbing that started just after the 8 knit rows would go all the way to the top of the crown. But it didn't. To me it looks more like a girl/woman hat the way it worked up, but here is the pattern. http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/give-him-rib-hat
Love that pattern! Have just the wool to make it too. Thank you Debbie!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you so much everyone. :)

I was reading something last night about converting a flat pattern to a circular pattern. I never even thought about this being a newbie, but it said something to the effect that if the pattern cslls to be made on straight needles and you make it on circular, the size likely won't be the same and the pattern will need adjusted. Well this hat definitely didn't come out to the size it said it would be. So I'm wondering if that's the case with this pattern? I'm tempted to make another one on straight needles and see how much different it might be.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom