Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to try and knit some socks. I am fairly well advanced in techniques and can usually teach myself something new with the help off all my dear friends on KP and videos, etc.
I have studied the tomato heel method which has prompted me to want and try my first pair off socks.
I would like to know your recommendations on a pattern suitable for this method and which yarn would be the best choice for starting off with. I live in the uk. I know Cath has patterns but I am not sure which Wld be the best first choice.

Happy knitting everyone.

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
TheHomeKeeper said:
I would like to try and knit some socks. I am fairly well advanced in techniques and can usually teach myself something new with the help off all my dear friends on KP and videos, etc.
I have studied the tomato heel method which has prompted me to want and try my first pair off socks.
I would like to know your recommendations on a pattern suitable for this method and which yarn would be the best choice for starting off with. I live in the uk. I know Cath has patterns but I am not sure which Wld be the best first choice.

Happy knitting everyone.
Without knowing for men, women, child here are some knitting pattern central lists:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/socks.php

There is a link on the webpage for baby socks.

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The socks Wld be for my daughter - 22 yrs. I wanted to know which was the mostly easiest sock pattern to knit as written with the sweet tomato heel technique. The lady has a few to choose from.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yarn Happy said:
I tried the sweet tomato heel on one needle (magic loop) and was not a fan, the socks that I really like best are the fleegle heel from KnitFreedom web site. They are written for magic loop knitters. The pattern is for toe up and top down, your choice.
What yarn would you suggest I should purchase for knitting these for the first time?

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
TheHomeKeeper said:
What yarn would you suggest I should purchase for knitting these for the first time?
In the US, Cat 1 is sock weight, on a needle US 1 or 2. I guess you would call it 3 ply or even 4 ply. Unless you want to go with something larger for the first time, like a sport weight (5m ply) yarn and needle UA 3 ish. To me the nicest socks are the ones with the sock weight yarn, but they do take a little longer to knit, but worth it. Even the sport weight makes sock a little too heavy to be comfortable in your shoes. Some times I make them with the heavier yarn just to use like slippers around the house on cold days.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I make toe up socks and use the sweet tomato heel. Start with a light color. I an using navy blue Stroll fingering weight from KnitPicks. Too dark to to "thanks ma". Did much better with Serenity sock yarn. I dont put fancy designs on my. Just make them to fit the foot. Have also used fleegle heel. Favorite videos are by Liat Gat and http://www.verypink.com. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use any sock yarn did magic loop used the sock pattern I have but did not do the heel flap or turne the heal. Just worked the sweet tomatoe heel and it workes great. Use light color yarn the the first time so you can see the thank mom. Mine was top down. Only heal i do now. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
TheHomeKeeper said:

Happy knitting everyone.
Here is Cat's video on the Sweet Tomato Heel. Apparently it is supposed to be very great.

Here is the Ravelry link to Cat's ebook with 11 sock patterns using the Sweet Tomato Heel.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cats-sweet-tomato-heel-socks-an-ebook

Here is Cat's site. http://catbordhi.com/books/cats-sweet-tomato-heel-socks-3/ At this site, click on patterns and then to socks. You have the option of purchasing one sock pattern with the sweet tomato heel rather than the whole ebook. :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
TheHomeKeeper said:

Happy knitting everyone.
Here are some patterns for multiple sizes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
If you aren't used to tiny needles and cat. 1 yarn, you might like to make your first pair of socks in worsted with larger needles, say a size 6....... That way you aren't learning new techniques at the same time you're learning to knit those tiny stitches. It's easier to deal with one thing at a time.

Worsted socks won't fit in most shoes, but they are great for lounging around the house and for sleep socks. After a pair of these under your belt, sock yarn on tiny needles will be easier than trying to meet two challenges at once.

Have fun!
Virginia

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom