Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new co-worker is a knitter and spinner and she started giving me lessons. She was generous enough to give me some of her own roving and loan me a spindle. The black and brown is my first attempt -- the yarn is pretty thick. But by the time I started with the pink and purple, I was getting a little better.

I bought my own spindle and some roving which I am dying with Kool-aid.

Here are my first two attempts. I have a lot more of the pink and purple left to keep practicing, but I can't wait to spin what I am dying.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Good job!! I was in your position last spring.... Long story short I'm now the
proud owner of a Schacht Sidekick. I love, love, love it!!
Haven't done any dying.
Keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My hubby made me a spindle with a cd disc and a piece of dowel--works quite well--I did not want to invest in one if I ended up not likeing to do it--BUT this works so well, I might not invest--

·
Registered
36 Posts
rozzi80 said:
A new co-worker is a knitter and spinner and she started giving me lessons. She was generous enough to give me some of her own roving and loan me a spindle. The black and brown is my first attempt -- the yarn is pretty thick. But by the time I started with the pink and purple, I was getting a little better.

Here are my first two attempts. I have a lot more of the pink and purple left to keep practicing, but I can't wait to spin what I am dying.
Spinning is something I really want to try! Please tell me what you think I need to do first...I am not aware of anyone locally who spins. Help! What's the first step? I love what you've done and can't wait!!! Thanks for ANY encouraging words! Pat

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pathway said:
rozzi80 said:

Spinning is something I really want to try! Please tell me what you think I need to do first...I am not aware of anyone locally who spins. Help! What's the first step? I love what you've done and can't wait!!! Thanks for ANY encouraging words! Pat
There are a lot of YouTube videos that I have looked at which you could watch. I got my spindle on line. When I was shopping I saw spinning kits where they send you a spindle and some roving to get you started. Good Luck! I find it a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ithereaseg said:
If you ever want to try your hand
At spinning alpaca drop me a line
Have a large herd and I can't use
It all up before shearing the next year.
Would love to try alpaca in the future! Thanks for asking. I just dyed an entire pound of Bluefaced Leicester-- I think it will take me awhile to get through spinning all that!

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Way to go. They look great.
rozzi80 said:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Spinning is great fun. I have never tried a spindle, but I have two wheels.... and lots of wool. I saw someone spinning and was fascinated. I wound up taking lessons. We started with a fleece, learned how to process the wool, wash, card, spin, and finally knit a scarf with the yarn. That first yarn was pretty uneven.... a bit like some of the art yarns one pays extra dollars for these days!

Back problems now prevent me from spinning for more than a few minutes at a time, and it turns out that I'm allergic to most animal fibers. YIKES!

There is a local mill that produces roving. I no longer start from the fleece and happily purchase roving from some of my friends. Many of the members of the spinning and weaving guilds have their own sheep, llamas, and alpacas.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
I want to spin too! I signed up for a class at a local farm (they have a shop and process the material from alpaca, goats and sheep) I haven't heard from them yet as to when the classes will begin.

I thought about buying a spindle and have watched videos on utube... is it difficult?

I thought I had to wait for a class and buy a wheel. Should I start with a spindle?

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
pmarch said:
Try a spindle to see if you really like it, wheels are an investment and aren't cheap , so make sure spinning is your thing. To some it comes easy, to others it doesn't .
I think I am going to try that. I was looking on Etsy and they have kits... spindle, roving and instructions for around $20.00. I have also been watching videos on Utube. They look a little confusing. I think it would be easier to learn if I had one in my hand. Plus, $20.00 is a much easier investment to swallow than $500.00-over $1000.00 for a wheel.

Plus, everything I have read says that it is far better to learn the basics on a Drop Spindle as it is better to progress to a wheel. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom