Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hope anyone can help,I`m knitting a jumper in fishermans rib everthing was going OK until I started increasing on the cuff for the arms.On the last row of rib you have to K1 P1 K1 in same stitch after every 5th stitch, I have done that and continued with the pattern, but there are small holes where I have increased how can I stop these holes?Thankyou :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankyou for your reply Linda I am half way up the sleave and the darn thing are still there I have tried different increase methods but it is complicated as the rib has to continue up the whole pattern if you see what I mean .thankyou

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
It is my impression that over a reasonably short time, as the sweater is warn, the strain on the tension at the increase, which cases the holes, will relax and even out.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
rosie 61 said:
thankyou for your reply Linda I am half way up the sleave and the darn thing are still there I have tried different increase methods but it is complicated as the rib has to continue up the whole pattern if you see what I mean .thankyou
Yes, as with any type rib pattern, you have to do a double increase, so that the pattern can continue. I do think it will become less noticable as you work, a fisherman's rib pattern is very stretchy, and it should hide it later. After blocking or washing (wool or acrylic) it will also make a big differance.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
When you work your K1 P1 K1 in the same stitch are you going into the same hole and working each stitch around the back of your stitch? When I work this I knit in the back of the stitch, move my yarn to the front then purl the front loop of the stitch, then move my yarn to the back again and knit the back loop. This way I have no hole in the stitch.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Does it really matter if you have little holes where you increased. They add to the design and will affect the warmth of the garment. Get on with it and don't worry about little holes, it is to be expected when you increase twice in one stitch. They give character to your work.
A blind man running for his life will never notice. Only you will see the holes, no one else will unless you point them out and then you might not find them yourself.

Carol J.

·
Registered
654 Posts
rosie 61 said:
Hi, hope anyone can help,I`m knitting a jumper in fishermans rib everthing was going OK until I started increasing on the cuff for the arms.On the last row of rib you have to K1 P1 K1 in same stitch after every 5th stitch, I have done that and continued with the pattern, but there are small holes where I have increased how can I stop these holes?Thankyou :(
Will this help?
http://newstitchaday.com/how-to-knit-the-fishermans-rib-stitch/

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Cathryn 2ed said:
It is my impression that over a reasonably short time, as the sweater is warn, the strain on the tension at the increase, which cases the holes, will relax and even out.
And if it doesn't, call it a design element and ignore it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankyou all for the replies,and being helpfull.I think I may have panicked a little too early.I have shown my friend and she says it looks fine.I am knitting it for a xmas pressie so I want it to be perfect.I will post a photo when I have finished it. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom