Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me every scarf I make always seems to flare out at the beginning 3" then settles down to an even stitch-it happens on all scarfs-I also notice this on scarfs that others make and can't seem to figure this out-just finish my grandson a ascarf that is rib knit 3 p 2 and love it except for the beginning-I have 2 more to make and was wondering if I can get some suggestion s on this problem-asked at knit shop if I should start out with smaller needle but she said no -will blocking help? thank you-nana-d

· Registered
12,053 Posts
You should probably change the cast on method you are using. The pattern you are using is very elastic and tends to make the piece... well, narrower than it would be if was knitted, say, flat. The cast on, on the other hand, is not so elastic, it tends to stay near it's linear size. Try some of the cast on methods that are using waste thread and curl to start in pattern - it might work for your project.

Also, scarfs, whatever pattern is used for them, tend to get narrower and longer due to the ... well, scarf- like look. You have a relatively narrow piece that is much longer than wide - and all the weight is making it even more narrow and long.

· Registered
707 Posts
I agree. The longer the scarf, the more weight, While in MD at a lovely little LKS, the woman there suggested knitting several rows and then adding more stitches in the middle body of the scarf...toward the end decreasing again, and that seems to alleviate the problem. This was done with Katia Flounce. I think the original cast on was something like 6 stitches and then increase 5 or 6 stitches, then decrease the 5 or 6 stitches near the end and then bind off.

· Registered
4,772 Posts
I had never heard of the cable cast on method till you gals talked about it. I viewed it on u-tube and it looks great. I'll be trying that one the next time I cast on. Right now I have 3 WIP's and need to finish at least one of those. Thanks a bunch, girls.

· Registered
308 Posts
If your cast-on is not the problem, then getting acclimated to the project is. Try doing a provisional cast-on and knit until the gauge adjusts. When the piece is finished, you can print remove the provisional cast-on and whatever is out-of-gage and finish off

· Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you for all your help-I just finished the scarf and happy with except for the flare-maybe when I block it -I have just started another as I have three to make for my grandsons -on this one I am going to try going down needle size for the first 2 or 3 inches and see how that works out-thank you all-will let you know how this works-nana-d

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom