Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted this technique before and never had a problem with rolling sides.

Add 2 extra stitches to be used as your side border. Slip 1st stitch as if to purl, y/o, continue your pattern, knitting last stitch. Next row, slip 1st stitch as if to purl, y/o, continue pattern knitting your y/o and slipped stitch. Continue this edge throughout your project.

I have not had rolled sides using this method (unless needles used are to small for your item. Did that once. Lesson well learned.)

Am going to try and send a pic of a prayer shawl I am working on to show this does work.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
If you do a yo, isn't that an increase? I would love to find a method to keep the scarf (or whatever) from rolling.

I tried a Knitpicks pattern for a Flame something (Winter Flame?-it was a free one) and it rolled totally (not just the edges). I doubt I make it again! Hopefully I can "flatten" it out when I was it. I gave a lot of scarves to the homeless so I want to make "easy care" patterns.
missblu said:
I have posted this technique before and never had a problem with rolling sides.

Add 2 extra stitches to be used as your side border. Slip 1st stitch as if to purl, y/o, continue your pattern, knitting last stitch. Next row, slip 1st stitch as if to purl, y/o, continue pattern knitting your y/o and slipped stitch. Continue this edge throughout your project.

I have not had rolled sides using this method (unless needles used are to small for your item. Did that once. Lesson well learned.)

Am going to try and send a pic of a prayer shawl I am working on to show this does work.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I basically do the same thing, but will do ;
1st st, y/o, continue the row and do K2tog.
next row, purl 1,y/o, continue and do a p2tog at the end so the row is always balanced.
But my main idea when I do a scarf, afghan or shawl, is to always add 4 sts each side in seed st(k1,pl)then the next row k the purl sts and purl the knit sts. I do this instead of a plain knit one row purl one row edging or one in plain knit as they always roll.
that makes the sides lay flat with no rolling. Have been doing it for 40 years with no problems. A friend always knits her edge sts with a larger needle then the rest of the work, but that's too much trouble for me as I keep forgetting and don't change needles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom