Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon I will visit my sister in Nashville. I want to make some napkin rings for her classy diining room. I am looking for easy pretty fun-to-knit flowers to attach to a green stem that makes a ring. I searched the websites and am just tired of chasing from one to the other. Does anyone have a pattern (s)? IThe sun is going down in Wisconsin and it's 30 degrees. Spring must be somewhere? I know you will help me???

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
the simplest flowers to make are to knit/crochet a circle with a little, tight center, make rnds till item measures 1-2 inches... now use a contrasting yarn, come up thru the middle and loop one big st over the outside edge of the circle....pull tight...rep 4 or 5 times to make a new petal with each pull up st.... when you want larger flowers, i just make the first layer about 3 inches, and then put a smaller layer (maybe different color?) on top and join after making each circle's petals separately.... very adaptable, looks cute with those one of a kind buttons in the middle (that would give you a place to attach to the napkin ring...thru the button) or purchased (or recycled) stamens from artificial flowers, lacy edges, different weight yarns, anything will vary the look of the flower....

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure what you are sayig. When you come up through the middle, as you said, with a contrasting color, do you then make another small circle? It sounds like you are crocheting, are you? I can crochet, but I don't understand the part after the contrasting color.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
mernie said:
I am not sure what you are sayig. When you come up through the middle, as you said, with a contrasting color, do you then make another small circle? It sounds like you are crocheting, are you? I can crochet, but I don't understand the part after the contrasting color.
sorry, so hard to write what you're doing....i COMPLETE the little circles, bind off....then thread yarn needle with contrasting yarn (can match, i just do it for interest or sparkle) and then up thru the middle, down over the outside edge of the circle and pull up tight to make a 'gathered' line that becomes one side of a petal...secure and move on to the next petal

and i have knitted little circles AND crocheted little circles....just look up circular knitting....start the center of a shawl and quit 2 or 3 inches later...any pattern will do....i just do whichever one looks best on my project or what i'm in the mood for... this is the place to use up those little pieces of yarn or the flashy stuff, metallics, you name it....i hope this is clearer...i just gave a dozen to a friend and don't have one here to photo...

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
yes....they're not really puffy...you adjust the look with the how tightly you pull up the stitch...it's really very easy to do and very ...mmmmmmm....variable....easy to change the look of to personalize each little flower...will try to make one tomorrow to show you...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a nice crochet pattern for a daffidol. I liked that one a lot. There's a pattern in March Creative Knitting for a napkin ring. I like it, but the flwoers are kind of... just okay. I guess I can't quite imagine your flower. Looking forward to seeing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom