Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone ! I would like to thank all those that post pictures of their projects ! I so enjoy seeing what people are accomplishing !
I would like to know what the rules are for TRAVELING ? / Flying with ones knitting ? Can one take their project on the plane or does one have to stash it in the luggage ? It would be so nice to be able to knit on these long flights ! Just a long day !! Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Current TSA regulations allow for knitting needles...HOWEVER any TSA agent can make a decision to not allow a passenger to carry on any item they feel is dangerous. I work in the airline industry.

Best advice..put your project on cheap needles, install a lifeline, pack your good needles in your checked baggage. If you are asked to remove your needles you won't lose any work.

also, regulations can change at a moments notice. Be prepared.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( Welcome to the group!

As alert standings change with no warning, I just call our airport just before leaving to find the newest r & r governing the things I like to take; knitting and crocheting, etc. I also check to see if the flight is on schedule.

Once, they didn't have a pilot! LOL!! A couple people had missed the fact that the gate number had changed and deplayed the flight a few minutes and were admonished by the titcket taker. They get on board and the announcment comes saying, "We have no pilot; One is arriving in 20 minutes".

The pilot arrived in 20 minutes, we took off and arrived on time! LOL!! I still wonder if the pilot had missed the info of the gate change, too!

I leave good scissors in stored luggage and clip nail clippers to the tote bags handles; No digging.

They did confiscate nail clippers early on after 09/11/01, but it wasn't a big loss. At that time, my ride to the airport had left so I've learned to keep him/her there until I've cleared security. If there's something not allowed, I just toss it back.

Hope this helps.
~~~~~
knittinkitten said:
Hello Everyone ! I would like to thank all those that post pictures of their projects ! I so enjoy seeing what people are accomplishing !
I would like to know what the rules are for TRAVELING ? / Flying with ones knitting ? Can one take their project on the plane or does one have to stash it in the luggage ? It would be so nice to be able to knit on these long flights ! Just a long day !! Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I've never had it happen..but regulations can change in just an instant. Other knitters have encountered the problem. Also other flyers can request that items not be allowed in the cabin if it makes them uncomfortable. Too many variables to not take some precautions.

Some years ago I came across a deal on "bundled" knitting needles at a Tuesday Morning store...they were inexpensive plastic needles and I bought them figuring they were so cheap that if I was forced to remove them and throw them away, I wouldn't be losing much. I got 4 sets of single point needles and 4 circular needles for $5.00.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I fly to Chicago every year to visit my daughter and I've never had any trouble carrying my project and knitting stuff on the plane, I carry the essentials in a large "purse" which stows under the seat easily. My daughter always checks the latest restrictionsm etc, Even tho I fly out of small tegional airports, I newer had problems, not even at O'Hare If I didn;t have my knitting I couldn't stand to fly. Boring

·
Registered
342 Posts
I, too, have never had a problem knitting while traveling. Just use common sense. Don't take your best needles, and don't take a project on really big needles like #13 and up. They could be considered to be hollow and contain contraband. I usually fly with plastic or wood needles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not had any problems with knitting and flying. Last year I went to Europe and it worked well to have may knitting on a circular needle set where the needles come off (Denise needles). You can keep them apart and put them together once you are on the plane. The security staff had no problems with them. D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got back from the Caribbean (3 flights each way) and had no problem knitting on all of them. I have knit on planes for years (including just a few weeks after 9-11) and never had an issue, although a woman inspector in Toronto once kept finding scissors in my carry-on (I had three pairs, much to my surprise!) and kept them all! So, I agree with putting "good" scissors in checked luggage and not-so-good (or nail clippers) in carry on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A newbee here and I fly with my knitting or should I say, my knitting flies with me. I have found the smaller projects, especially with the length of needles, it is much easier to manage in the crowded planes. My favorite project to take along is knitting socks, easy to stow, easy to work on and sometimes a conversation starter. Seond favorite is knitting baby things. FUN...

I put my knitting in my carry with me canvas bag with my personal things, books, snacks and other items I keep with me in the seat and have had no problems. My carry on goes into the overhead bin. It is surprising how much you can get done in the air and waiting for flights. Usually I can get one sock done each way, the last flight was 3 socks finished. I always take enough yarn to make 2 pair of socks, JIC.

Hope this eases your mind about taking your knitting.
LaVerle

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
The problem is, what is allowed today..can change tomorrow. Add to this, TSA Agents are permitted to make judgment calls regarding carry on items AND other passengers can express concern. Nothing is guaranteed. This is why you should plan for contingencies.

I can't remember what post it was in..but I believe it was sometime last month. One knitter said they carried a yarn cutter on a lanyard onto a flight with no problem, another knitter said theirs was confiscated. The TSA agent said this was because a yarn cutter contains a razor blade and the cutter could be smashed to remove the razor blade, that sort of makes sense. Then the knitter pointed out that someone really determined to cause trouble would just use the lanyard to strangle someone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The only problem I have had flying with knitting needles is from Mexico. If you ask at check-in if they are allowed, they will ask to see them and then say "No". But, I had some double points in my purse, and they didn't even flinch when my bag went through the security at TSA. So, who knows when flying from Mexico.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i HAVE BEEN KNITTING ON PLANES FOR MANY YEARS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM EXCEPT FOR SCISSORS. i USE A LITTLE CUTTER THAT YOU CAN BUY AT ANY KNITTING STORE. pEOPLE ARE ALWAYS ASKING TO SEE THE PROJECTS i'M WORKING ON FOR THAT TRIP.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom