Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Argentina - no problem bringing my bamboo circulars through security on American Airlines. On the flight home, one of the attendants made a comment about bringing dangerous objects on board. I told him my other hobbies are kickboxing and Israeli Guerilla hand-to-hand combat training - if I wanted to do some damage, those silly little needles are the least of his problems.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
knitterlin said:
I just got back from Argentina - no problem bringing my bamboo circulars through security on American Airlines. On the flight home, one of the attendants made a comment about bringing dangerous objects on board. I told him my other hobbies are kickboxing and Israeli Guerilla hand-to-hand combat training - if I wanted to do some damage, those silly little needles are the least of his problems.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
knitterlin said:
:thumbup: sorry, working on kindle.

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
LOL - you are probably lucky you didn't spend the rest of the flight hand-cuffed to your seat!

·
Registered
19,009 Posts
You were lucky you had an attendant with a sense of humor. I had an incident on Quantas a couple of years ago. I had a plastic crochet hook and the attendant freaked out and told me to put it away. I explained security had no issues with it and neither did any other attendant on previous Quantas flights but said I would put it away if it upset her. I did and before you know it, the pilot came back. She told him I had a dangerous item and he came to check it out. By then it was stashed away and I was reading and I explained the whole story to him and showed him the "weapon" but he wanted me to keep it away also. Never had a problem before and never since. Go figure!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
If the TSA let's you bring it on board, they shouldn't give you trouble on board. shame on them, especially if it was a plastic crochet hook! good grief!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I never had a problem taking circs on a plane until we flew to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. All went fine until we left. Everyone with me went right onto the plane but, because of my circs (3 sets but they were Addi so cost me $$), I was detained, even my feet were wanded, and my backpack searched. They ripped my circs right out of my project and kept all 3 sets. I was shocked and furious. I was able to phone the rest of my knitting group who weren't leaving until the next day and warned them to stash their needles in their checked baggage.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I agree with all previous comments. Once when flying out to Portugal from the UK I had my nail clippers confiscated but was able to buy another pair once we were through security and into the duty free area!

·
Registered
487 Posts
With all of the self-righteous comments that have been posted about this, I hesitate to say anything, but here goes....

You and your knitting and crocheting tools may be perfectly harmless, but the person sitting next to you may not be, and your craft items may be just the thing she/he needs to cause mayhem.

Flight attendants have the final say, even if one has made it past security checkpoints, as to what is or is not acceptable in the cabin. Making "smart" comments, arguing, waving copies of the TSA regs (which matter not one bit overseas), and insisting on one's "rights" is rude and inconsiderate.

Pack your good needles in your checked baggage and take the tools you will cry least about losing in your carryon--with the work on it. Put a lifeline in your work in case you have to surrender your needles. Use a dental floss container to cut your yarn.

I've flown extensively and have never had my knitting needles confiscated, but I follow the rules. There is always a first time., and I have had to stash needles at the last minutes into checked bags at the counter because of posted policies. Regulations flying into the US are often more strict than when flying out of the country.

It's a different world and we can't always do what we want.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Pens and pencils are just as sharp, and easier for the mayhem-minded get ahold of. I'd cheerfully loan anyone a pen, especially if he looks like he's gonna take it anyway. But my *needles*?????????

I just took crappy circular sock needles on an across-the-USA flight ... I didn't start the project at home so I would not lose any knitting if TSA took the needles.

-- security didn't mind. (hassles occur flying INTO the USA)
but
-- damn tip came off before the plane boarded! Yes I know "that company" will send a new needle no-questions-asked but fat lot of good that did me in the air. I pushed it back together to get me through the flight.
-- The very first maneuver required by the pattern and chart was impossible as written, so I didn't accomplish anything anyway.

The embarrassment of carrying my cable chart instead of my boarding pass up to the gate was my fault and not the TSA's.

Not to threadjack but I have researched auto-crash injuries and nobody knitting in the front passenger seat has ever put their eye out when an airbag deployed. I don't think turbulence would make you stab yourself in the eye either. But if some officious yet ignorant airport employee wants to make stupid decisions that add to the misery of travel, we have to live with it.

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
SueWilson49 said:
I agree with all previous comments. Once when flying out to Portugal from the UK I had my nail clippers confiscated but was able to buy another pair once we were through security and into the duty free area!
Good point. You can also buy wine in glass bottles, which could be smashed and used as a weapon.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
knitterlin said:
Thank you for this post! I leave for Chile on Sunday and return from Argentina on American. I wasn't sure about the policy. I love your comment to the attendant.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did - bulky cotton, dk,and Malibrigo worsted. When I have a chance, I'll take a picture and post.
To those who thought my comment to the flight attendant was inappropriate, please remember that I had established a relationship with him and we were joking around. FYI...my self-defense trainer taught me that the most dangerous non-weapon "weapon" on a plane is a full soda can. So many ways it can be used to hurt people.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
A friend of mine had the same problem. She complained to their embassy when she got home. Overzealous Security people are a problem; but my friend was told that better her knitting needles were confiscated than take a chance a passenger is attacked or the plane destroyed. :thumbdown:
In other instances, the knitter just had her needles stolen right under her nose by the supposedly zealous "Security" staff.
Me, I wouldn't take my precious, pricey Addis on a flight out of the USA! I use strictly cheapo plastics when I fly. If the TSA person steals...er...confiscates them, I'm only out a few bucks. :thumbdown:
And I'm SURE that if Grandma goes nutso on a plane and sticks a knitting needle into somebody, it will be on the Eyewitness News for days! :roll:
cshoresknits said:
I never had a problem taking circs on a plane until we flew to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. All went fine until we left. Everyone with me went right onto the plane but, because of my circs (3 sets but they were Addi so cost me $$), I was detained, even my feet were wanded, and my backpack searched. They ripped my circs right out of my project and kept all 3 sets. I was shocked and furious. I was able to phone the rest of my knitting group who weren't leaving until the next day and warned them to stash their needles in their checked baggage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Trust me, I won't be flying with Addis again. I had just never had a problem flying with my knitting stuff before. I was so paranoid about losing my luggage that I kept my Addis with me. Bad idea. Just flew to Florida and back with long aluminum needles and no problems at all. Those would be much more likely weapons. The only problem was we were boarded by SFPD upon landing because some lady in the back of the plane refused to pay for the 3 tiny bottles of wine she drank because she had paid for her plane ticket and thought it should include her drinks. It was funny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom