Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16x20 Civil War cross stitch portrait that I made for my husband 8 uears ago. I was just going to reframe it as the old one broke. I noticed, however, that the hoop marks are very noticeable. I have ironed and starched it and now they just look dirty. What would you suggest to get the stains out?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
First of all, you don't starch counted cross stitch pieces. Second, when you press it, you do it on the wrong side and put a towel or pressing cloth over the piece. You can try the textile soak Judy P mentioned, or you could put it in a solution of Dawn (it works on oil covered birds) but don't let it soak too long. Swish it in the water and then make sure it's rinsed out completely. It may take 5 or 6 times or more in the rinse bath. Roll it up in a heavy towel and squeeze to remove the excess water. DO NOT WRING!!! Lay it face down on a dry heavy towel, and set your iron no higher than cotton. Place another towel or cloth over the piece and run the iron back and forth over the piece until no more steam comes out of the piece. Then lay it on another clean towel and let it air dry.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all, I always starch my pieces because I like them to be flat when I frame them. It has never been a problem. And I always iron it on the wrong side. This wasn't my first picture it is just the first one that has yellowed with age.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Domisticgod has the right idea, just a couple of additional notes. I'm a long-time counted cross stitcher and had a framing shop at one time. Only wash cross stitch (and counted cross stitch) by hand, not washing machine. Only use cold water, not warm or hot because the cotton cloth (and/or linen) will most likely shrink, and some floss colors "run" in anything but cold water. If the mark from the hoop is a dirt ring, do use Dawn (blue kind, without moisturizers). Do not put the Dawn directly on the ring, dilute it a bit and then put on the ring. You "can" very gently rub the ring againt another area of the ring. Yes, DO rinse VERY completely. Wrap it in the dry towel, squeezing but not wringing. Lay it flat, face down, on another dry towel to let it air dry a bit. Let it dry some before pressing on the wrong side. If too wet, the colors could still run. If it gets completely dry, no problem. Just use a clean spray bottle to mist it a bit. Please don't starch, it could make the fabric breakdown over time. You want the fabric as natural as possible, without starch, fabric softners, etc. PM me if you have additional questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom