Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
What nice connections! I always get asked about knitting when I knit in a public place and always mention KP because my knitting really took flight since joining and, of course, the friendships...priceless!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Our group, 'Stitches' meets every week at the local Barnes and Noble. They give us a table and as many folding chairs as we need. The group consist of knitters and crocheters. :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
NRoberts what a wonderful story...you are right...people that enjoy to knit and crochet are out there we gotta find them! I took a friends mother to the doctors office one day and I was crocheting a baby blanket...I was doing bobbles. The lady was Hispanic and I did not understand her very well...she came over and looked at what I was doing and even though i did not fully understand her we communicated...she went out to her car and brought her crochet in...I showed her how to do a bobble or popcorn stitch and she showed me this very beautiful flower pattern called jasmine. It was very intricate, but I was in awe of that communication that we did between creative people. Love the story!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I was at the doctors office with my husband today. I was crocheting a name doily for my daughter. This lady came in and sat across from me. She was knitting a beautiful pattern (baby blanket). We started talking and she told me Jackson (Mississippi) has a LYS. I was thrilled to hear this. Said they had beautiful sock yarns. I told her about KP. Hope she will take a look. Loved Her. Instant bond through an old craft!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Bulldog said:
YEAH, Revita. Maybe we will meet someday. The name of the shop is The Yarn Studio. Searched it on the web. Glad to meet another Mississipian. Betty
Betty that would be nice to sit and knit. I just moved to Biloxi, from New York retiring from West Point, New York, the weather and beach you just can't beat it.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I would love it. I am directionally chanllenged, so would have some tall talking to get Jim to put the GPS in the car. Would be nice to meet in Vicksburg and then on the Jackson or to meet at knit shop. Any other Mississippians could join us. That would be fun.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I love how people meet over their needlework. A few weeks ago I was in the library and saw a woman knitting. I went over to talk to her and invited her to the local Hobby Lobby where a bunch of us (KnitWits) meet on Wednesday afternoons. Sure enough, she showed up a little while later. I am also trying to start a group at my church, for the purpose of making things for charity.

·
Registered
397 Posts
linda6200 said:
I love how people meet over their needlework. A few weeks ago I was in the library and saw a woman knitting. I went over to talk to her and invited her to the local Hobby Lobby where a bunch of us (KnitWits) meet on Wednesday afternoons. Sure enough, she showed up a little while later. I am also trying to start a group at my church, for the purpose of making things for charity.
Linda that is a great idea. I was over a Prayer Shawl at our church and was always excited to teach others how to knit and crochet. What an awesome service you will provide to your community.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Linda, my sister started one in her church in Las Cruces, NM. She put and invitation in the Sunday bulletins and invited anyone who did any type of handwork (crochet, knitting, quilting, cross stitch, etc) or wanted to learn to bring a sack lunch and join them Mondays at noon in their gathering place. They would stay as long as they wanted. She either specified four or five. She had members show up and they still continure to meet even after she left to move to Arkansas. I can't get anyone interested at my church.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have had requests from non-members to join when I get started. You might get a group started that way. We have a wonderful woman who heads the Pastoral Care Ministry. She has been making lap quilts for those who are catastrophically ill (cancer, leg crushed in an 18-wheeler wreck, etc.), and I am seeing this as an outgrowth of her ministry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom