Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Think they look rather nice! Would be interested to see if anybody's made them and how well they actually work?

Here's the free pattern link:

I love them! I do have some knitted slippers that I knitted thick cotton soles for once they became worn and I now use them for cleaning. They do actually work and it's a bit of fun to go around the place pretending to skate whilst picking up dust and dog hairs from the corners. They aren't good for getting under furniture though so I have to use a mop for that (limbo dancing is something I gave up years ago). Those pictured, with the loopy soles, would probably be even better than mine. Mind you don't slip.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love them! I do have some knitted slippers that I knitted thick cotton soles for once they became worn and I now use them for cleaning. They do actually work and it's a bit of fun to go around the place pretending to skate whilst picking up dust and dog hairs from the corners.
Now here's a thought if we made them child size, we'd be more than happy to encourage them to skate around the kitchen! Payment could be made via treats!

·
Registered
12,530 Posts
My mother would have us kids put on a pair of my father's worn out cotton socks and polish the wood floors she had just waxed. Like ice skating but we had to rub every inch. It was a lot of work and exercise.
I crocheted dust mop covers like Swifflers out of microfiber yarn. They do a good job of dislodging the dust but do not pick it up.

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Now here's a thought if we made them child size, we'd be more than happy to encourage them to skate around the kitchen! Payment could be made via treats!
No, don't give them treats. Just the fun of doing it would be treat enough. You've brought back a memory of mine. When I was very young (about five years old) we had lino on all of our floors, rugs in the bedrooms on top of the lino and carpet squares in the living and dining rooms and I used to put dusters on my feet and swan around polishing the lino, singing as I went. It was great fun and mum got her floors cleaned. I used to help polish the furniture and clean the brasses as well. I didnt need bribing to do it, I enjoyed it. I wish I enjoyed it as much now.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My mother wrapped the mop with an old cloth diaper and had us sit on it. She pushed us around the floor. We got a ride and she got shiny floors.

Reactions: StitchNStash

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
This brings back a memory- my mother would wax the floor- then give my sister and me a pair of my dads work socks- so we could skate around and polish the wax. It was a lot of fun and she would let us have tea after…. 😄it was mostly hot water with milk and sugar but we loved it Because it was an “adult” drink.

·
Registered
11,492 Posts
No, don't give them treats. Just the fun of doing it would be treat enough. You've brought back a memory of mine. When I was very young (about five years old) we had lino on all of our floors, rugs in the bedrooms on top of the lino and carpet squares in the living and dining rooms and I used to put dusters on my feet and swan around polishing the lino, singing as I went. It was great fun and mum got her floors cleaned. I used to help polish the furniture and clean the brasses as well. I didnt need bribing to do it, I enjoyed it. I wish I enjoyed it as much now.
This reminds me of my childhood when my mother used paste wax on the floors and then had my brother and me skate around wearing Dad's old thick work socks. Lots of fun and no treat needed.

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
This brings back a memory- my mother would wax the floor- then give my sister and me a pair of my dads work socks- so we could skate around and polish the wax. It was a lot of fun and she would let us have tea after…. 😄it was mostly hot water with milk and sugar but we loved it Because it was an “adult” drink.
We had old rags on our feet when we polished the floor . It was great fun . And if we were ever " allowed " to wash the dishes ,,,, it took hours and much hilarity .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top Bottom