Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://home.myhughesnet.com/search/?q=french+onion+soup+recipe&v=1&context=topsearches&source=DCC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We do make it from scratch here, but I find that the canned with added onions is darned good, really. Having some today as it's still cold, freezing rain.......Iowa.

I like to toast the pumpernickel (or other) bread and have it on the side versus in the baker - it just gets smooshy while baking in the liquid; Slather it with butter and Swiss cheese and put under the broiler for a few - don't turn your back on the broiler, though? LOL!.

I see Alton's recipe is on this link - went there - need to download a toolbar - I skipped that; Also a slow cooker version; Interesting; LOL!

Some are calling for French bread, too and different cheeses; We really like the Swiss cheese.

Soup's on - come on over! :thumbup:

Donna Rae

· Registered
43,279 Posts
e.ridenh said:
http://home.myhughesnet.com/search/?q=french+onion+soup+recipe&v=1&context=topsearches&source=DCC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We do make it from scratch here, but I find that the canned with added onions is darned good, really. Having some today as it's still cold, freezing rain.......Iowa.

I like to toast the pumpernickel (or other) bread and have it on the side versus in the baker - it just gets smooshy while baking in the liquid; Slather it with butter and Swiss cheese and put under the broiler for a few - don't turn your back on the broiler, though? LOL!.

I see Alton's recipe is on this link - went there - need to download a toolbar - I skipped that; Also a slow cooker version; Interesting; LOL!

Some are calling for French bread, too and different cheeses; We really like the Swiss cheese.

Donna Rae
On my way, I just love french onion soup with really crusty granary bread.

· Registered
526 Posts
e.ridenh said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Donna Rae
I just wish I lived within driving distance of YOU, I'd be there all the time just to soak up your kindness and friendliness ! As far as french onion soup, I like anything that is soup, especially with onion and then when you throw a piece of bread on top of it with cheese, YUM !

You are a great addition to this board and I always enjoy seeing your replies to so many messages. I feel like you are a best friend ! Stay warm, here in GA, we are having a little "chilly" weather, not cold enough for me to turn the furnace on ! It is very overcast and a little chilly and are to have some more violent weather on Monday a.m., had pretty bad storms and rain in the Atl area on Saturday; I live in an apt and I noticed that we lost a lost of tree limbs on the property !

· Registered
5,892 Posts
I'll add my Kudos to Donna; you always seem to hit the nail on the head! Thanks for all the good stuff you share.

I love Julia Child's French Onion Soup from Mastering the Art of French Cooking I.

· Registered
10,702 Posts
I love French Onion Soup and found a frozen one at Costco (individul servings) that was quite good except it was too salty. I don't make it as no one else like it so I have to wait until I eat out. It really varies from restaurant to restaurant though...

· Registered
671 Posts
It's nearly 4 weeks since my knee replacement. I think my appetite went wherever my old knee went. LOL.
But the thought of onion soup with melted swiss on crusted bread sure sounds good.

Normally I do not tolerate onions, so I make onion soup in the spring with Valdalia onions. This also is a sweet version. I love it & it likes me. When I make it for others, there's never a drop left. I add no salt, but I pour in a dollop of red wine.

While my appetite button remains on I'll have to compromise & have melted swiss on rye crusts.

Meanwhile, my knitting is on hold as my attention span isn't back to normal & I make too many errors.

Browsing every few days for ideas, encouragement, & motivation...THANKS to all of you. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom