Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Marion, I still consider myself a beginner when it comes to knitting and crocheting, many years ago I was put on bedrest when 4 months pregnant, watching TV drove me nuts, I already knew the bascis of knitting, but I taught myself how to do simple crochet too. I love to sew, I consider myself very well trained in sewing since Ive done it from 12 yrs old and now in my 40's.
I do need to get myself a new sewing machine, I plan on teaching my girls to sew, they are 15, 12 and 9. I have a goal to make my boyfriend a quilt, of all the things I have made, I've never done a quilt.
I love to see everyone projects on here, all of them are so beautiful.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Welcome Marion. It is nice to hear that you enjoy crafting so much I've knitted and crocheted for a very long time, and am only starting to learn to sew anything worthwhile. I did at one time do a quilt for my queen size bed, but that was 20 years ago when I was around your age. It was very fulfilling.

What kinds of things do you like to knit and crochet? I do alot of knitting and crocheting on baby/toddler clothing, hats for Arkansas Children's Hospital and friends.

Linda (Florida)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
I haven't done anything to complex, just some blankets and a few hats. I was experimenting with crocheting circles, then I ended up making a hat. My very first hat lol. I am quit proud of it. I didn't go with a pattern, just went with whatever looked right, undid it when it looked funny.
I have made a few baby blankets to donate, currently working on a blanket for my 9yr old, almost done with it.
The very first sewing project I did was in school, I made my mum a case for her knitting needles, she still has it. I'm truely surprised it still held together after 35 yrs .

Marion

·
Registered
978 Posts
Marion
Good Morning. What's the weather in N Idaho? It's already hot and 70+here.

I think it is awesome that you came up with your own hat pattern. That is what it is all about using talents you don't even know you've got. LOL I usually start with a standard pattern more for shape and size than anything, then I go on to put my own stitches in it. If I can ever figure out how to take and then put pics on the computer I might be able to sometime show you some of the things I've made.

You can go to your search engine (goggle, etc.) and put different things in it like; free patterns for (whatever you are looking for) and usually quite a few sites come up. The also have sights that will help you learn how to knit. Just put that in the search engine; like free knitting help, or free knitting videos,etc.

Have a good day and once again, welcome.

Linda -Sebastian, Florida

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Linda
Thank you for the tips. I will try that.
It's been snowing all day, so much for Spring tomorrow. We are in the mid 30's right now. I start work at 5am on the weekend, it was pretty chilly heading out this morning.
I'm the same as you, if I knew how to do the picture thing I would.

Marion

·
Registered
978 Posts
Marion

What kind of work do you do? I work for senior citizens (that makes me laugh now that I am one) LOL actually the seniors are all over 70 and most are in their late 80 - early 90's I coordinate outside vendors and our maintenance staff and the resident's requests. I've been there 9 years now and feel so blessed to be working and enjoying my job on top of that.

Three children, well bless your heart. They will have alot to take along with them when they grow up, knowing how to sew etc will save them a bundle for sure. I started knitting when I was 10 years old and my Aunt taught me by showing me how to do a baby bootie. She said because it was small and just a little challenging.

If I can help at all, just drop me a line

Stay warm and blessings to you and your family..
Linda (Sebastian-Fla)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I work at a gas station/convenience store. I am the assistant manager. I open on the weekends, I work till 2pm Sun - Wed and till 10am on Sat. On Thurs I work till 4pm. My girls go to their dads on the weekend, so it keeps me a bit busy LOL. I have worked in this business for over 8 yrs now, I just love our customers, well 95% of them LOL.
The summers are fantastic, with all the tourists, I just love to meet people from different places. We are close to Spokane, Washington, and we have the resort in Coeur d'Alene, it attracts alot of people.
2 weeks ago I met a young couple who moved here from Glasgow, it was fun to talk about Scotland.

I am so really looking forward to the summer ... praying for warmth LOL

Marion

·
Registered
978 Posts
scotslass said:
I work at a gas station/convenience store. I am the assistant manager. I open on the weekends, I work till 2pm Sun - Wed and till 10am on Sat. On Thurs I work till 4pm. My girls go to their dads on the weekend, so it keeps me a bit busy LOL. I have worked in this business for over 8 yrs now, I just love our customers, well 95% of them LOL.
The summers are fantastic, with all the tourists, I just love to meet people from different places. We are close to Spokane, Washington, and we have the resort in Coeur d'Alene, it attracts alot of people.
2 weeks ago I met a young couple who moved here from Glasgow, it was fun to talk about Scotland.

You've sure got a full life. That is so good. We only get one we should enjoy every minute of it.

I was also a divorcee raising 2 children on my own, but of course I was divorced way back in 1980 LOL Fortunately my ex and I have
tried very hard to keep a decent relationship during those trying years. When I go to New Jersey I stay at my daughters and sometimes when I am there my ex comes up for the weekend because he lives 2 hours from our daughter and it is also hard for him to get there alot. We all just go out and enjoy ourselves. Both he and I walked my daughter down the aisle when she got married. I've been married for the second time for 25 years +

I pray it gets warm for you also. It is already too hot here, it was 90 today and it is only March. The summers are way, way too hot.

Please keep in touch I'd love to continue to communicate

I've got to run and get this hat done I'm workring on for my friend's son.

Blessings and be safe
Linda

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, I was raised in Dunfermline, my mum still lives in Rosyth. Last time I was home was March '02. Wish I could take my girls there, they would love it. I love Idaho though.
What takes you to Alaska?

Marion

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Welcome....from Rae in NC. I took a quilting class when I retired and it was fun. I learned by a woman who taught us how to quit by hand not machine. I'm sure you will make a wonderful quilt. I don't have time to quilt anymore....got too many other things going, but if I want to get back to it, I sure have a lot of fabric to get me started. Happy knitting : )

·
Registered
648 Posts
my husband to b he from the area and we met on line so it a miracle cos we would never have met otherwise. he is lovely and worth the wait as i have lived my life and time to settle down . my family are around perth mum and sister have houses near pitlochry and brother is aberdeen area . i have lived in blackpool for 40years and as u see by my pic i was a tram driver there for 25years

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello Rae,
I have sewn all kinds of things, from dresses, toys, awnings, hot tub covers etc. I know a lady who has a quilting machine and will do that part for me, but I'm going to make myself be patient .... I want to try to have it done for June, this year not next :lol: wish me luck LOL
Marion

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
trammyjane said:
my husband to b he from the area and we met on line so it a miracle cos we would never have met otherwise. he is lovely and worth the wait as i have lived my life and time to settle down . my family are around perth mum and sister have houses near pitlochry and brother is aberdeen area . i have lived in blackpool for 40years and as u see by my pic i was a tram driver there for 25years
Congrats, that is awesome. I wish you all kinds of happiness

Marion

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom