Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After making a sweater for my granddaughter and showing it off at work, my supervisor asked me to make one for her. My task was to convert the pattern to an adult size. So I went to the web and found a sizing chart, looked at the dimensions for the toddler size I had made and for the woman's size. Then I figured out the percentage of difference between the two. I increased the toddler size pattern by that percentage. It worked and the sweater fit my supervisor perfectly.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
If you need to increase the size of a pattern, or decrease..using the "percentage" method is the easiest. Say you need to increase the size by 50%...you cast on 50% more stitches, knit the item 50% longer (in all areas, say from hem to armhole and from armhole to shoulder). It's a very simple method.

I used this method to make matching hooded sweaters for a family of 2 adults and one 3 year old.

·
Registered
494 Posts
courier770 said:
I rarely use sizing charts...I tell people to measure from armpit to hip, from armpit to shoulder, across the shoulders and hip circumference. Those measurements generally give me a "model" to work from.
I can easily see that your method would work the best for me to use when making any item for myself, especially through the hip area and for length. I like my tops a bit longer and a regular size chart usually doesn't work well. Thanks for the tip.
Carol L.

·
Registered
41,678 Posts
Hi all --- I married into a "tall" family and have tall children and grandchildren so the percentage method sounds like it will work out for me to make things longer but not wider....getting anxious to begin the challenge and think I'll start with a cascade drape front vest for myself & then if that works out...convert it to the taller sizes...does anyone have a tried a true pattern for this type of vest? Thanks....this has made my morning!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
It's really very easy...sometimes you will come up with an odd decimal point, so I do the old fashioned round up or round down. Anything over .5 gets rounded up and anything below .5 gets rounded down.

Knitting is a labor of love and we want those garments to fit and be enjoyed by those we give them to (or make for ourselves). A little measuring and adjusting can make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Face it most patterns are written for the "average" person (who I have yet to really meet). Some people are "petite" (and generally short waisted) others are tall (and usually long waisted)...some people are incredibly lanky while others are fuller figured. Buying clothing can be difficult, making items (sewing/knitting/crochet) can result in a real custom fit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For heaven's sake! I've often changed pattern directions by converting the stitches per inch to the larger size, but never ever EVER figured out the simple solution of using percentages! I knew I was dim at math, but this is beyond dim. It's wearing blinders.

Thank you so much for this advice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom