Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a cardigan and it is time to take the stitches off the holder on the left side and do a ribbing front band which will meet the right side front band at the back neck edge. My question concerns making those front bands and knitting them in (somehow) so that I don't have to sew them in. It is the (somehow) that I have a question about.

Does anyone know how to do this or where to find the directions for doing this?

Perhaps, it's not possible. But thought if anyone knew how to do this, people on Knitting Paradise would have the solution.

Thanks in advance for being there,
Meiling772
Florida

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I think you will have to sew the back neck edge if it continues down to the front of the cardigan, Ribbing is real easy to sew using the mattress st. Does the pattern have you picking up the stitches on the front and back neck edge?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the two sides are worked separately and sewn together at the back neck edge. I don't mind sewing that little bit, but would like to complete the ribbing for each side in one step rather than the two(knitting and then sewing.) I do not need to pick up stitches on the neck edge. I take the stitches off the holder and knit the ribbing straight all the way up to the middle of the back neck edge.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
That is different from the cardi's I have done but I would think you should be able to pick the stitches up on the front and knit them in. As long as they are going in the same direction as the back neck edge. Are your shoulder sewn or bound off together yet?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply. I have completed the two fronts,the back and two sleeves. To make the fronts, I knitted one inch of ribbing, then put 7 stitches on a holder and continued knitting in stockinette stitch to form the front. I have not sewn the pieces together,as I would like to start the ribbed front band prior to sewing together so that it is not so cumbersome.

Your participation in this discussion thread is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I have knitted cardigans many times. Picking up stitches and knitting a band horizontally creates fabric with the grain ...the stretch in the wrong direction. Never satisfactory to me. What worked for me was to knit the band separately on the smaller sized needles. I might cast on 1 more stitch on the sweater side ...and pin it in place with safety pins as I worked. Somewhere along the years of knitting I learned the wrapped stitch for the edge....there must be videos for that on line. That created a nice firm edge that satisfied me. I knit the band without the bottonholes first. Located the button placement with more safety pins, counted rows between buttonholes and then worked them according to that formula. I joined the 2 bands together in the back with a 3 needle bindoff.
Good Luck. Its one of those things where a little extra effort and care with the finishing s teps makes all the difference. Joan 8060

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I have done this before, only on a child's cardigan instead of something as large as a cardigan for me. I have looked at your pattern and it says to start by slipping 7 stitches from stitch holder. Next row has you increase 1 to work the ribbing over 8 stitches. When you are working the right side (working back toward the sweater front) before you work the last stitch on your needle draw up a stitch through the cardigan front and add to your needle then knit, or purl, both stitches together depending on how that last stitch is worked. When you are working the wrong side row you start by picking up the stitch putting 9 stitches on your needle and knit, or purl, the 1st 2 stitches together. You will want to work your band on DPN because sometimes you will be adding the stitch at the beginning of your work (when working from the sweater front out WS), but sometimes it will be at the back (when you are adding the last stitch when the band is worked toward the front RS).

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Do you have long enough circulars to pick up the stitches up one side, around the back and down the other side? That is the easiest way I think. I did that on a shawl collar cardi once. It will work unless you have slipped the first stitch on each row of the fronts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom