Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Just arrived here recently while searching for some free knitting patterns (yes, yes, the thrifty Scot in me). Lovely to see so many cheery folk wrapping yarns and telling them too. Love to knit, have decided that I'm not that good at it but I just don't care - I do it because it's fun, relaxing, good for the brain (remember that when you are struggling as I often do with obscure sounding directions in patterns). Hope to make the acquaintance of many here. Best wishes from the frosty north - not the folk, just the weather... ;-)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your welcome greetings. I like the feel of this site, it's just natural & relaxed and no divas. I am easily intimidated by knitting police, so the atmosphere here is so welcome. Nice to know there are some UK knitters about too. Look forward to a lot of natter in the coming days!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kenna said:
Hi there flying pins! Some of us in Canada have your same sense of humour! You have the same attitude as so many of us...lite on life but heavy on humour! Do enjoy! Kenna in Canada
This is soooooo funny! What a clever lass you are too. I am actually (hold breath, confess) a secret Canadian! There, it's out! English father, Scottish mother, brought up in Toronto and returned to the "homeland" on my own 28yrs ago. The ancestors from the farm sleeping peacefully in the church graveyard at the top on my road for over 200yrs to make it official. When it comes to knitting, I took it up to make sure I still had brain function. Short of an MRI it seemed the most plausible scientific test. I had to teach myself from books as I hadn't yet become an internet slave and oddly the people around here who knew how to knit were very grudging about helping me. I think it's the fact that I can only trace my ancestry back 200yrs or more so I am clearly an incomer. Anyhoo... the other reason to learn knitting was to teach myself to accept failure. This seems to be a lesson I haven't learned sufficiently so continue to apply knitting to my character building by flubbing up, messing up, leaving stuff in unfinished heaps, slaving on something for a gift that actually looks like the pattern picture only to have the recipient complain that "well, it's very nice, and well, it obviously took a lot of work...but...well, it doesn't fit" - a likely story, and so it goes to the back of their wardrobe. So now I'm working on a pattern (free and supposedly easy) for a Lily Thrifty market bag and just realised that there are no instructions for putting it together or where to pick up the handle stitches. That would be typical of my journey. Soon there will be a thread entitled "Help!" on how to finish it.... You just HAVE to laugh! :lol:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Welcome from foggy Cardiff

FlyingPins said:
Hello everyone! Just arrived here recently while searching for some free knitting patterns (yes, yes, the thrifty Scot in me). Lovely to see so many cheery folk wrapping yarns and telling them too. Love to knit, have decided that I'm not that good at it but I just don't care - I do it because it's fun, relaxing, good for the brain (remember that when you are struggling as I often do with obscure sounding directions in patterns). Hope to make the acquaintance of many here. Best wishes from the frosty north - not the folk, just the weather... ;-)
:thumbup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just been outside raking up the autumn windfall and came back here after tea to have a peek. Hello to everyone from the south to the north, it's just lovely to be welcomed so warmly from near and far.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom