Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hummingbirds have been very fun and busy this summer and soon I'll be waving them good-bye as they migrate south. I always dread this time of year- I always feel as if I am losing friends.

I know many of you like hummingbirds and I thought I would share. Last June I saw this video from Hummingbird Market in Tucson, Arizona.

I purchased one of the feeders and it took my birds a short time to figure it out but soon they became very adept.
http://hummingbirdmarket.com/feeders/songbird_essentials.html

Cynthia
Birchrunville, PA
:sm01:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
That would never work in my yard... first of all, it doesn't hold enough nectar. Secondly, my little "purple head" hummer is very territorial and chases everyone away... I have 3 feeders around the house... so another can eat without him seeing them.
Our hummers stay all year, so I have to keep them well fed all the time.
It is cute tho~

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have six different feeders all over the yard so it is difficult for one bird to monopolize any single feeder. Sure they are all buzzing around but they all receive nutrition from the feeders or our abundant natural vegetation/ flowers. My saucer style feeders always have two or three birds perched and feeding.

The hummingbird tongues are long enough to reach deep into the tubes and they do totter depending on a bird's weight---and thus the nectar is easily and readily available.

It is by far my bird's most popular feeder. I thought it was the location of the feeder but whenever I moved it the birds would follow.

I have additional vials/ tubes in the fridge and switch them twice a day.

·
Registered
867 Posts
It is cute, but wouldn't be practical for us. We have 16 feeders and go through at least 2 gallons of nectar a day. I'd be filling it every 5 minutes. Lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct, correct, correct but you are missing my point. I am not trying to convince or sell the feeder. It is just an additional "whimsy' feeder that sits next to the kitchen table window. Sure it provides nutrition as do the other feeders, flowers and insects. But mostly it is entertaining for us and perhaps the birds. Just as humans can enjoy a different restaurant ambiance from time-to-time hummers should be given the opportunity to explore different feeders. Sure they are 'creatures of habit' but every now and then maybe they want something different???

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Oh, I do get it... it's just that I have a large dog and a small yarn... the birds are skittish to come low into the yard when she's out, so I have to get up high on a step ladder and hang it off the covered patio... I'm afraid I'll fall if I do it too often. I do have a little perch swing hanging and he loves to sit there and survey his yard and watch his favorite feeder at the same time. We have some lovely trumpet vines that the birds love to get nectar from... but here it's over 100 and most of my other flowers have long died.
Wow! I can hardly keep up with the 3 feeders... let alone 6... or 16!!! Great job ladies to keep the little ones fed!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom