Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or do all those items knitted top down have a slightly pinched look at the shoulder where the top of the sleeve emerges? I have tried to fiddle with patterns there but to no avail, it always looks too small just at the top of the raglan sleeve. I have tried to taper the cuff ends of the sleeve in to improve the look but that was't too successful. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
No I don't understand what you are describing. I have made the armhole too long before and a raglan style sweaters looks kind of batwing then. I have seen other sweaters with the armhole too short and that looks 'pinched' to me. It is also is very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you've got it when you say maybe the armhole is too short and that somehow makes the top of the sleeve too tight/pinched - hmm - so need to ensure armhole length (for raglan) will produce just the right width at top of sleeve? many patterns don't seem to do this - maybe one needs to check as you go? Maybe different tension gives different results than pattern intended?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi, Are you referring to recent patterns? ( less than 5 years or so) ? I think it is a design feature; they are supposed to look close to the body with a rounder shoulder. It is a style influenced by Japanese knits. IMO.
Happy knitting.

·
Super Moderator
82,413 Posts
I think you've got it when you say maybe the armhole is too short and that somehow makes the top of the sleeve too tight/pinched - hmm - so need to ensure armhole length (for raglan) will produce just the right width at top of sleeve? many patterns don't seem to do this - maybe one needs to check as you go? Maybe different tension gives different results than pattern intended?
Differences in personal tension absolutely influence finished size.
This is part of the reason I just don’t bother knitting sweaters or things that must fit. Shawls and blankets “fit” everyone. 😈 And I get my yarny fix!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I always have to adjust top down patterns as they usually make dressing a baby difficult and don’t allow for t-shirts or dresses underneath. As an adult, I would find the tightness under the arm uncomfortable. I make the depth from the shoulder to the underarm longer by knitting more rows before splitting the work for the sleeves and body. I also tend to increase more stitches as I also find the sleeves too narrow.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Is it just me or do all those items knitted top down have a slightly pinched look at the shoulder where the top of the sleeve emerges? I have tried to fiddle with patterns there but to no avail, it always looks too small just at the top of the raglan sleeve. I have tried to taper the cuff ends of the sleeve in to improve the look but that was't too successful. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I also feel that they have a pinched look. I hesitate to try to make one because of that look.
The shoulders never look broad enough to me in the top downs.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I am not sure if this is what you mean, but I encountered a length problem with the top down April Showers cardigan I am knitting for myself. It instructed you to divide for the sleeves at 6.5” from the beginning. I thought that was not enough length to leave for the arm hole, so I added an inch, divided for the arms, then tried it on. No way! So I ripped back & am adding even more length for the sleeve. I’ve noticed a lot of recent patterns don’t call for enough length for the arm hole.

I can’t think of an afterthought fix for this issue, though.

·
Registered
158,518 Posts
Perhaps increasing the number of stitches between the edges of the raglan sleeve, right at the start, would help that.
This is what I was thinking also. And have done it! Makes for a looser fitting sleeve, which can be a good thing.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
What I like about making top down raglan sweaters for myself, is that I can try it on to see if the armhole is big enough. If it seems too tight, I do more raglan increase rows. So far, this has never made the body of the sweater too big.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I've probably knitted a couple of hundred top down sweaters from newborn size through 3XL adult and I've never encountered that problem. It sounds like the wrong size or style was chosen. For some body types raglan is better, for others a rounded yoke, evenly increased throughout is better. For most it doesn't matter.

Reactions: mildredL2
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top Bottom