Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://furlscrochet.com/products/furls-odyssey#oid=1009

"When I started Furls, I carved every single hook by hand. Crocheters loved our wooden hooks, the only hooks we offered at the time, but wanted a hook that was more affordable; Something equally beautiful, ergonomic, and handmade that wouldn't break the bank if they bought the whole set."
I can afford most items posted about on KP but these would break-the-bank for me......
(I wonder what the wood ones cost - if these are so much more 'affordable'?)

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
rkr said:

"When I started Furls, I carved every single hook by hand. Crocheters loved our wooden hooks, the only hooks we offered at the time, but wanted a hook that was more affordable; Something equally beautiful, ergonomic, and handmade that wouldn't break the bank if they bought the whole set."[/]
I can afford most items posted about on KP but these would break-the-bank for me......

rkr-I have a number of Furls hooks and I really like them, although that being said, I don't do that much crochet work. As I have arthritis in my hands, I find these hooks to be very comfortable to hold onto for long periods of time. I have 4-5 in my favorite exotic wood, cocobolo, and the same number in the acrylic (I think that's the material) "Candy" line of Furls hooks. Both are equally comfortable but, as a lover of wood needles and hooks, my favorites are the cocobolo wood hooks. I saved my pennies and ordered them one at a time (by emptying out my change from my purse every day into a little jar. When I had enough for a hook, I ordered a new hook). The exotic wood hooks run around $75 each, the "Candy" hooks run around $45 each. They do have an Odysee (sp?) line but I'm not sure about the cost. You can also check on Etsy. Just site search crochet hooks and look for those that have a similar profile to the Furls hooks. They are less expensive than the Furls hooks. I have a friend who ordered some of the wood ones and she is extremely happy with them. They ran about half the cost of the Furls wood hooks.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
They are beautiful, but as someone else said, they look more like works of art. Even if I bought a set just to display, one of the cats would knock them over and the dogs would have VERY expensive chew toys.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I wanted one as a gift for a friend, but like most of you I just couldn't afford it. Ergonomic hooks are very popular now and there are several well known companies that carry them. It would have to be knitting needles for me to shell out that much, and I have on a couple of Signature needles, but my Dreamz work just as well at a fraction of the cost. Do you have someone you can drop a hint to? Every once in a while a luxury item is good for the heart if not the purse strings.

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
The hooks shown in the link are beautiful, no way I would pay $30 for something I already have which does the job perfectly... I'm still happy using my very old 'Birch' brand hooks. I guard them carefully... If I lost one I'd have to buy something I might not like using... :sm01: :sm01: :sm01:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know you're only as good as your tools, and I guess you can look on it as an investment for the future, but dues this design really offer enough advantage to make the cost worthwhile? For myself, I'd rather spend my money on yarn.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
GrumpyGramma said:
Those don't fall into my Affordable category. They're beautiful, more like works of art. I need things I can use and afford to replace if lost.

These look to be on sale and they're only $49.00 ea. and they're regularly $49.99. Huge savings! :sm06:
http://furlscrochet.com/collections/all
Snort!! Out of my comfort zone pricewise. They are beautiful.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
rkr said:

"When I started Furls, I carved every single hook by hand. Crocheters loved our wooden hooks, the only hooks we offered at the time, but wanted a hook that was more affordable; Something equally beautiful, ergonomic, and handmade that wouldn't break the bank if they bought the whole set."
Beautiful but a NCD (no can do).

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I was gifted one. It feels heavy in my right hand and found it uncomfortable after 1/2 hour crocheting. It is pretty, but I prefer my own mix/match collection from over the years. To each his own, and I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I would have rather had yarn.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom