Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just knitted a dish cloth with Sugar & Cream, the red white & blue self striping, and it fades terribly. I quickly put in some vinegar to set the color, but it is now red white and pink.

·
Registered
27,100 Posts
Alas, we have heard that happened to many people on Paradise. I sure hope the company test their other bright ideas before they market them. Sorry it happened to you.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
That's why I don't buy Sugar N Cream.
They have admitted they do not set their colors during the manufacturing process.

Here is what they say about setting the color.
http://www.sugarncream.com/knitCrochet/
16. How do you set the dye in a yarn / garment to prevent the dye from coming off on hands and needles while working with it?

Knit your project, and soak it in a solution of the following:
1-2 c PICKLING SALT and COLD WATER.
Set for half an hour.
Rinse THOROUGHLY in water.
Soak again in VINEGAR and WATER.
Set for half an hour.
Rinse THOROUGHLY.

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
galaxycraft said:
They have admitted they do not set their colors during the manufacturing process.
I have never had a problem with any other Sugar & Cream. I do like the Hobby Lobby I love this cotton, but have easier access to sugar & cream.

·
Registered
19,410 Posts
galaxycraft said:

Here is what they say about setting the color.
http://www.sugarncream.com/knitCrochet/
16. How do you set the dye in a yarn / garment to prevent the dye from coming off on hands and needles while working with it?

Knit your project, and soak it in a solution of the following:
Set for half an hour.
Set for half an hour.
Rinse THOROUGHLY.
Is this printed on the label "Colors Not Set"..if it isn't it should be so no one else will suffer the fate of dye ruing the whole project.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
I agree. I don't use sugar and cream, either... for this very reason. I was warned about their yarns on KP.

If you don't have access to other yarns, I would suggest Knitpicks cotton.. I believe it is called "dishie" and is an affordable yarn that gets very good reviews from members here on KP.

AND... you don't even have to leave your computer chair to have some in your hot little hands in a few days!

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarn-fiber/dishie-yarn.html

You can do a SEARCH here on KP to read the many favorable reviews on this cotton.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
AmyKnits said:
I agree. I don't use sugar and cream, either... for the very reason. I was warned about their yarns on KP.

If you don't have access to other yarns, I would suggest Knitpicks cotton.. I believe it is called "dishie" and is an affordable yarn that gets very good reviews from members here on KP.

AND... you don't even have to leave your computer chair to have some in your hot little hands in a few days!
Thank you for the reminder as to where to get another brand.
I want to do up some baby bibs and spit cloths, but I couldn't remember what others had recommended.
:)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
jinx said:
Alas, we have heard that happened to many people on Paradise. I sure hope the company test their other bright ideas before they market them. Sorry it happened to you.
SHOUT nhas a product called Color Catchers. They are like dryer sheets, but go in the wash. I have used dark purple wool next to a lite lavander and there was no running or fading of colors. Plus soaking in vinagar can help some. I still get fading though not as bad after doing the vinager soak.

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Angelsmom1 said:
SHOUT nhas a product called Color Catchers. They are like dryer sheets, but go in the wash. I have used dark purple wool next to a lite lavander and there was no running or fading of colors. Plus soaking in vinagar can help some. I still get fading though not as bad after doing the vinager soak.
Yes, I use color catchers all time and as soon as I put this one in the water and saw the fading I got out the vinegar, but too late by then.

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tweeter said:
I have used Sugar and Cream yarn for years and made things with for other people and it never faded.
I hadn't had any trouble before either. This one sure made up for it. As soon as I put it in the water and saw all the color I pulled it right out and laid it on the side of the sink so I go get the vinegar and the red & blue colors were really running down the side of the sink. It was as if I had poured some dye or something on the edge of the sink. It wasn't just a little fading, it was major.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
red and blue are two colors you have to watch out for!! am doing grandmother's favorite dishcloth,Peaches&Cream,Stars and Stripes. on Care instructions it says DO NOT bleach,tumble dry low heat,wash 30c/86f delicate,do not iron,do not dry clean, wash colors seperately, SOME COLORS MAY RUN!! will wash this in vinegar first, and just use this as some type of cleaning rag. was thinking to give it as a gift(NOT)!! i have always used sugar&cream OR peaches&creme for dishcloths and have no problems but never this particular shade. will watch out for the ones with red and blue together!!!! thought I'd be Patriotic.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Maybe it would be helpful for the folks who use this yarn in strong colors to wash and treat it with salt and vinegar before starting any project.

It seems as though it might be particularly good for the red, white, and blue variegated yarn.

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sillyhp said:
Had the exact thing hapen to me. VERY disappointing.
Would be interested in finding a similar cotton yarn that does not fade.
Phyllis
I have used I love this Cotton from Hobby Lobby because it is softer, although the last one I bought wasn't as soft as the previous one. I have heard a lot of good things about dishie from Knitpicks. I always liked the price of Sugar & Cream from WalMart cause it fit my budget. I just won't use that particular color again.

·
Premium Member
81,182 Posts
galaxycraft said:
... Knit your project, and soak it in a solution of the following:
Set for half an hour.
Set for half an hour.
Rinse THOROUGHLY.
The writer of those instructions obviously doesn't spend much time cooking/baking from recipes!

One to two cups of unadulterated salt. Check!
Cold water ... Umm ... What volume of water??? A gallon? A bathtubful?

Soak again in vinegar and water ... in what proportions? 1 to 1? Doesn't that writer even mix any drinks??

Vague instructions such as these drive me BATTY! :thumbdown:

Reminds me of my mother's encounter with the makers of her first steam iron. The user's manual stated to pour in one cup of distilled water. So, she bought the distilled water. She then measured out one cup = 8 US fluid ounces. Then she tried to pour it into the iron. No go! There was no way to get the whole 8oz. into it! She thought there was a manufacturer's defect, so she phoned the maker. After a long discussion and consultations with assorted egg-heads at the company, it turned out that the 'cup' the user's manual was referring to was a tea cup, not a measuring cup! And that the tea cup in question holds but 6oz.!!!

Sugar and Cream's directions are equally fuzzy!

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
AmyKnits said:
I agree. I don't use sugar and cream, either... for this very reason. I was warned about their yarns on KP.

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarn-fiber/dishie-yarn.html
Thanks, Amy, for your review and feedback!

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I complained to the manufacturer and they sent me two skeins of sugar & cream, one of them being the red white and blue, so I get to try it again. I appreciate their response.

·
Premium Member
81,182 Posts
This discussion prompted me to write to Sugan'n Cream about their rather fuzzy instructions on setting the dye.
On their website, the instructions read, "... soak it in a solution of the following: 1-2 c PICKLING SALT and COLD WATER. Set for half an hour. Rinse THOROUGHLY in water. Soak again in VINEGAR and WATER. Set for half an hour. Rinse THOROUGHLY."
All well and good, but I asked how much water to how much salt and what proportions of vinegar and water.
Their answer today:
"The salt and cold water mixture and the vinegar and water solutions are both 1 cup to 1 cup but this depends on the size of the item you are making. If it is a dishcloth then 1 cup of each would be sufficient but if it was a sweater than you would need a lot more to cover the item."
In other words, equal volumes of salt to water or vinegar to water.
Good to know!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom