Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question--how many rows of garter stitch-or ridges-needed to keep stockinette knitting from curling? Also the sides? I have done this for years and never can decide how much to knit.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Dishcloth patterns often call for three stitches of seed stitch or garter stitch on the sides, to prevent curling. For the way I knit, I need more, so I do at least five stitches on the sides. On cast on and cast off edges, I do three or more rows of seed or garter stitch.

For hats and mittens, of course, ribbing controls one edge.
Carol K in OH

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sophieroz said:
Simple question--how many rows of garter stitch-or ridges-needed to keep stockinette knitting from curling? Also the sides? I have done this for years and never can decide how much to knit.
On baby hats where I want the hem to curl, I stop the curling by doing ONE row of purl and then continue with the ST stitch. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Unless the pattern specifies otherwise, I prefer to use an uneven number of garter or seed stitch, usually 5 stitches depending on the pattern. So, five rows of garter or seed stitch at the beginning, and five stitches on each edge.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
I never thought about the advantage of an uneven number of stitches of garter stitch, although I do use an uneven number with seed stitch. What is the advantage, or is it just a personal preference?

dalex1945 said:
Unless the pattern specifies otherwise, I prefer to use an uneven number of garter or seed stitch, usually 5 stitches depending on the pattern. So, five rows of garter or seed stitch at the beginning, and five stitches on each edge.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
There's no fixed answer; you have to swatch each project :(

The Techknitting blog says the only way to be sure is to vary the width of the garter on each side (make garter triangles that point in towards the center) so there's no "flip" line.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
What a good tip. Never thought about it, but I'll use it in the future. Would look prettier, too.
AmyClaire said:
There's no fixed answer; you have to swatch each project :(

The Techknitting blog says the only way to be sure is to vary the width of the garter on each side (make garter triangles that point in towards the center) so there's no "flip" line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom