Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
Definitely make a swatch. One time I didn't and knitted the entire sweater and it would have fit the refrigerator. I'm a size small, so needless to say, I ripped it all out, did a swatch and then started over with the right sized needle. It's definitely worth the time.

·
Registered
23,697 Posts
woodsstock111 said:
thankyou for your help.do you know how I would change the size if it is wrong
make your swatch, at least 6"x6", wash and block it, see what gauge you are getting. If you have too many stitches to 4 inches, you will need to go up a size in needles and check again. This is the only way you can be sure

·
Registered
443 Posts
Patterns give a "suggested" needle size. This is the size needle the designer used to get the gauge in the pattern. This is why so many state doing a gauge swatch is so important. Your personal tension is what determines your gauge. This is why there is often no "right" size needle. Trying to resize a pattern to fit your gauge is a lot more involved. Getting the pattern's gauge will help in getting the right size. This is why many knitters invest in interchangeable needle sets so that they always have the "right" size needle rather than purchasing numerous individual needles. Depending on your knitting tension, you may have to go up a needle size (too many stitches) or down a needle size (too few stitches) to get the pattern gauge. The yarn you use can also affect gauge. This is why it is important to use the yarn you plan to use for the pattern to knit the gauge swatch.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
woodsstock111 said:
thanks for the answer, but what is a block? also how many stitches go to 4inches? does it say on the patterns?
Your pattern should tell you how many stitches = an inch, ex-20 sts=4".

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't have a clue as to your dilemma. Sorry. However, gauge to me is very confusing. My pattern calls for a gauge of 16 stitches to 3" using yo and 2tog. How in the world do you count stitches in that kind of pattern? I know all of you very knowledgeable knitter have the answer. I am at a loss.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Donalda said:
I don't have a clue as to your dilemma. Sorry. However, gauge to me is very confusing. My pattern calls for a gauge of 16 stitches to 3" using yo and 2tog. How in the world do you count stitches in that kind of pattern? I know all of you very knowledgeable knitter have the answer. I am at a loss.
There are 2 ways of knitting a gauge swatch. The first is using stocking stitch (knit 1 row, purl 1 row); the second is to use the pattern for the item you're making. 3" seems odd to me, but the method should be the same. You cast on more than the number of stitches required to get gauge. In this case, probably double the number. Then you follow the pattern until your swatch measures at least 6". Cast off. Wash and block. Then measure across a row in the middle of the swatch and count the stitches. If you have yarn overs, the 'wrong' side is probably all purl. On the right side it will show as knit and you can count those. I would count in 2 or 3 places to be sure.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
I ignored watching for years. Now I do it religiously unless the item is very small. It is definitely better than frogging the front of a sweater!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom