Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You remember Charlie Brown and Lucy holding the football? She always promises to hold it for him and he always ends up on his backside when she pulls it away at the last minute.

That's how I feel about apparel knitting. I have tried to make so many garments, have had to frog a few and given away others when they don't fit, and I've changed my focus to knitting toys and dolls. Which isn't a bad thing, but I should be able to knit sweaters that fit big people!

I've read the articles and watched the videos about knitting a gauge swatch, but for some reason, I continue to have problems knitting to the gauge of the pattern. Maybe I'm tricking myself into thinking I'm measuring correctly when I'm not.

Well, now I'm ready to try kicking another football. Do any of you out there have any suggestions for the psychological aspect of this important knitting skill?

Thanks.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
farkasw said:
You remember Charlie Brown and Lucy holding the football? She always promises to hold it for him and he always ends up on his backside when she pulls it away at the last minute.

That's how I feel about apparel knitting. I have tried to make so many garments, have had to frog a few and given away others when they don't fit, and I've changed my focus to knitting toys and dolls. Which isn't a bad thing, but I should be able to knit sweaters that fit big people!

I've read the articles and watched the videos about knitting a gauge swatch, but for some reason, I continue to have problems knitting to the gauge of the pattern. Maybe I'm tricking myself into thinking I'm measuring correctly when I'm not.

Well, now I'm ready to try kicking another football. Do any of you out there have any suggestions for the psychological aspect of this important knitting skill?

Thanks.
Knitting a swatch should be about 6" x 6".. then measure the number of stitches and rows within the center 4" x 4".. with recommended weight yarn and recommended needle size. If that does not match gage of pattern, too many stitches per inch in your gage, try with a larger needle, not enough stitches per inch, try a smaller needle. Working a new swatch for each attempt. Frog the ones that do not give you the correct gauge.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Another tip I learned from a class is in the beginning of your swatch, knit a YO K2tog for the size of your needle. So if you’re using a size 6 needle there will be 6 holes in the swatch. That way, when you have always know what needle was used to make that swatch.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It’s funny...for some reason I only knit garments. I usually use at least double the number of stitches and rows. I find if I use a smaller amount, it’s never right. I’ve done so many swatches because I almost never use the yarn called for in a pattern. If I’m using the same weight of yarn as the pattern, I usually just make the back, measure it and adjust the front/s if necessary. I measure the swatch before and again after washing and drying it to see the shrinkage. It takes more time but I end up with wearable art????

·
Registered
488 Posts
Try knitting a top down raglan sleeve sweater for an adult. You can try it on as you go and make it fit as you work down. Gauge is important in any knit apparel but you have a slight flexibility with top down construction.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It is so important to swatch before starting a garment. I agree with all who have said that it needs to be 6” X 6”. It needs to be done with the same yarn used in the project. Different colors of the same yarn sometimes knit up to a different gauge. Also, the same needles need to be used. Different needles, usually different gauge.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
All I ever knit are garments, have enough blankets/afghans handed down from Gramma and Mother to last to end of days. My mother taught me when knitting a swatch (which she HATED to do and seldom did) is make it at least half again as big as expected; i.e., you're going to measure a 4x4 inch then make it 6x6 and so on. Block it when finished and measure.

Let's say she needed to make the following gauge of 18 stitches by 20 rows = 1 inch. So here's what she'd do:

*Knit a few rows (4 or 6) in pattern/gauge stitch called for in directions as the swatch foundation.
*On next row while working she'd place markers dividing the stitches into sets of the number of stitches called for in gauge (example: she'd place a marker every 18 stitches along a single row)
*For counting the rows called for she'd place a different type/color of marker on the first or last stitch of the row dividing them in to sets again (example: she'd place a marker every 20 rows)

That way she'd have 'landmarks' to place the ruler along when measuring.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
When you swatch, use the needles you will use for the garment. If you swatch with a short pair of bamboo needles and then use your nickel plated circulars for the garment, your gauge will NOT be the same as your swatch.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Oh Lordy yes! Last thing I want to do it try to build that in.

tobo11 said:
I have a similar problem. I make a swatch and a it's fine. My problem is ease. How much ease does a pattern have. I am grateful when the designer includes that information.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Oh, I got the swatch part...it's just this from Deniser I don't understand...

"Another tip I learned from a class is in the beginning of your swatch, knit a YO K2tog for the size of your needle. So if you’re using a size 6 needle there will be 6 holes in the swatch. That way, when you have always know what needle was used to make that swatch."

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I think you'd do this: knit a YO K2tog the same number of times as the needle size you're using to swatch. If you're using a size 6 needle you'd repeat it 6 times therefore you'd have 6 holes. It's nifty way to keep track if you're going to be doing multiple swatches with different size needles that's for sure!

joyceagnes said:
Oh, I got the swatch part...it's just this from Deniser I don't understand...
"Another tip I learned from a class is in the beginning of your swatch, knit a YO K2tog for the size of your needle. So if you're using a size 6 needle there will be 6 holes in the swatch. That way, when you have always know what needle was used to make that swatch."

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom