Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,694 Posts
I'd say so, other knitters have said that of the LK150.
I tried to search the internet for your machine and found it aka Brother KX350 which is a 7mm KM. I have 4 zippy90
pattern mags that are good for all bulky machines, as per the cover, if you would like them, send me a pm with your email.

·
Registered
9,694 Posts
The Zippy 90 patterns are pdf for emails...
No stitch patterns, plain ss and hand manipulated as written for plastic bed or prior to punch card KMs...

Just send pm with your email, I will respond to multiple reqs at once. If you need to be blind copied or sent seperately let me know...

For KMs that have pattern capabilities look at this website for patterns:)))

http://www.aboutknittingmachines.com/BrotherFreeManuals.php

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I know with my standard 4.5 mm (which is size 7 in American hand nedles)would not be the same size as the hand needles.
The stitches with fingering yarn at tension 6 on the machine would translate to about size 1 or 2 needles if knitting by hand for me - about 8 stitches by 10 or 11 rows.

·
Registered
10,250 Posts
There are 4 different machine gauges.
A fine gauge machine that is very rare and I believe has a gap of around 2/3mm between the needles. The needles on this machine are a lot smaller/finer.
A standard gauge machine, the most popular, which has a 4.5mm gap between needles.
A mid gauge machine which is the nearest that you can get to hand knitting. This has a gap of between 6/7mm and is also quite rare although not so much as the fine gauge one.
A chunky/bulky machine that has a gap of 9mm, second most popular machine.
I have a mid gauge that I believe is the same gauge as the one Miashay has. It is possible to use a hand knit pattern on these machines but of course you must do a swatch in order to be sure.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KateWood said:
I'd say so, other knitters have said that of the LK150.
I tried to search the internet for your machine and found it aka Brother KX350 which is a 7mm KM. I have 4 zippy90
pattern mags that are good for all bulky machines, as per the cover, if you would like them, send me a pm with your email.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I could use bulky yarn on my machine. I guess my km falls under the standard gauge.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Seldom are the machine stitch sizes the same as manual needles sizes.

Whenever I machine and hand-knit on a piece, I knit a small swatch and then knit manually to see which way I have to go.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The simple 7 (KnitKing version of the brother KX-350) dial does correspond to the hand knitting needle size pretty much, if you don't go 90mph with the carriage. You still have to take a swatch though. I wouldn't knit anything without first knitting a swatch. I used a hand knit "L" type guage and it always corresponded to the same size as the knitting pattern was written. If you go too fast with the carriage it tightens the stitch and can give you a very wrong finished product.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
iiwoody said:
The simple 7 (KnitKing version of the brother KX-350) dial does correspond to the hand knitting needle size pretty much, if you don't go 90mph with the carriage. You still have to take a swatch though. I wouldn't knit anything without first knitting a swatch. I used a hand knit "L" type guage and it always corresponded to the same size as the knitting pattern was written. If you go too fast with the carriage it tightens the stitch and can give you a very wrong finished product.
I did not know that the speed at which I knit would affect the gauge. Thank you for that info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom