Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I was following a link to scan a free pattern link. I found a pattern I was very much interested in and I followed a link to the Rowan website. I had not accessed this site before and had no problem offering the general info needed to register. That was were everything went to h%^&. I will admit, some info I do not share very readily. For one, my phone #. I do not want a bunch of sales calls. Then it was time and again where you type in those crazy codes. I filled in my basic name, address info twice. They kept sending me e-mails on gaining access to there site but aside from the opening page that was it. I sent them an e-mail saying this wasn't government info I was after, it was a girls cardigan pattern, offered free. No, I still do not have the pattern and I will probably search some other sites to see if it is available.

Yes, some sites seem to want TMI.... sometimes only certain info is "mandatory".... Yeah, we just want the pattern, people!! Maybe we'll come back to the site in the future, but in the meantime, we just want that new project to work on!

I think the only reason they want so much information is that they sell it to other businesses. I get really sick of having to jump through hoops on some of these sites. If I don't really want what they've offered, I just forget it. If I want their newsletter, fine but don't force me into subscribing.

They always tell you it is secure. But there constant emails also are a bother. If they sell yarn also the price is never on sale. Let me pick the the times. I contact the companies.

There's no such thing as a free lunch as the saying goes. I guess if you want the free pattern you have to jump through their hoops. Some sites aren't as intrusive. Maybe just fake a phone number and address.

I actually set up a email just for this type of problems--has a "not quite right" name and address---I got bit badly ages ago and learned my lesson

I just went to the Rowan site and the only info required is username, email, first and last name -- other info listed is strictly optional and shouldn't prevent you from getting access to the pattern. Only the items with a red " * " are required

I registered for that site last year and only needed to submit very basic info. I think they always want names to help prevent copyright infringement. Maybe you were on the "set up an account" page?

Computers aren't that smart. If they require a phone number, I resort to the old television and movie trick where phone numbers all start with 555 and then usually type in 0001. Computer looks for ten digits. Area code and phone number. 301-555-0001 There ya go, perfectly fictitious telephone number accepted by computers. Same as my address, if I don't want to give it. 123 Anywhere Street, Yarntown, MB and a fictitious postal code as well. These sites are programmed to accept certain amounts of information in order to proceed. Also if somehow one of these vultures does get my phone number, when they start with their speil, I ask who they are looking for and tell them that no such person lives here. They usually give up if they get derailed enough ;P

I signed up to Rowan's newsletter& access to patterns more than a year ago.
Nothing but grief since. it can be hard to sign in (correct info, but hard to get in) and when I finally get in am lucky to download a pattern or two, but they deny access to other patterns. Their system shows that I'm logged in, just demands a log in with some of their patterns even so. Repeating the log in doesn't help.
Drives me mad!
I email them, and hear back in about a day. They send me instructions that I need to log in first. Arrrgh!
Have pretty much given up even looking at their patterns.

I have a very old mobile phone number which I input and I put in the Asda store number for the sites which INSIST on having telephone numbers( I have tried inputting numbers which are slightly off but they seem to know and reject the number) I got fed up with the ensuing marketing calls after I had---for example looked up car insurance.
I find it intrusive when they ask for details which do not seem necessary.

I leave these sites alone for this very reason! Good luck finding the pattern elsewhere.

123 Main street (add your own zip code)
888-555-8888
Put in a special email address you made for "junk", so you can receive a verification if you need to.

FYI those dumb words and numbers are called Captcha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom