Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 73, and with over 65 years of knitting experience, I thought there wasn't much I didn't know about knitting until I joined KP and now I'm learning something new every day and life is so much more interesting.

For instance, I've just discovered German short rows and my untidy wrap and turns are now a thing of the past. I just couldn't do them right, I'd either miss the wrap stitch or just make a mess and leave a hole. Shadow wraps were a little better but these German short rows are so easy to do and actually make my work look so neat.

In fact, socks are about to re-enter my world. I tried a few pairs when I first retired 12 years ago, but either they were too wide for my narrow feet, or they ended up different sizes. So I gave up, but now with German short rows and recently discovered toe up socks where I can try them on as I knit, I feel like I can give it another try. But first I must find a pattern for DK weight yarn as my arthritic fingers can no longer cope with sock weight and thin needles. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
Another that you may want to try that forms a nice heel without holes is the FLK heel. Sox Therapist has an excellent pattern/tutorial on Ravelry for $1. It goes into measuring and making a 'pattern' so that your toe up socks fit perfectly. The heel is formed with twined stitches. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fish-lips-kiss-heel

Lots of useful information there to help in sock making.

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
German short rows are fantastic! IMO. W&T was horrid. I have narrow feet too and could tell by looking at them that patterns wouldn't fit. I stumbled across Lifestyle Toe Up Socks - No Swatch Needed that works with any weight yarn. Basically you cast on for the toe and increase to fit your foot. After that use any heel you want. I did it with the short row heel with the pattern the first time, after that I learned to do gusseted heels. Enjoy you socks adventure whatever pattern you choose.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lifestyle-toe-up-socks---no-swatch-needed

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jmcret05 said:
Another that you may want to try that forms a nice heel without holes is the FLK heel. Sox Therapist has an excellent pattern/tutorial on Ravelry for $1. It goes into measuring and making a 'pattern' so that your toe up socks fit perfectly. The heel is formed with twined stitches. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fish-lips-kiss-heel

Lots of useful information there to help in sock making.
Thanks for the tip, I'll certainly get that when I get the new pattern.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GrumpyGramma said:
German short rows are fantastic! IMO. W&T was horrid. I have narrow feet too and could tell by looking at them that patterns wouldn't fit. I stumbled across Lifestyle Toe Up Socks - No Swatch Needed that works with any weight yarn. Basically you cast on for the toe and increase to fit your foot. After that use any heel you want. I did it with the short row heel with the pattern the first time, after that I learned to do gusseted heels. Enjoy you socks adventure whatever pattern you choose.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lifestyle-toe-up-socks---no-swatch-needed
Thanks for that too, I want to make sure these socks fit this time. I've just dug out some old ones that I knitted and may frog them to try before buying new yarn but them problem with that is I'll have to wash the yarn to get the wrinkles out and it'll get all knotted and twisted so I'll probably just buy some new yarn.

·
Registered
15,745 Posts
My favorite short row method is the 'bobby pin' method. There is no wrap to do, your working yarn doesn't need to be in front, there's no remembering to pull it up etc. The bobby pin marks exactly where you turned so you don't have to look for any special stitch; so there's no guessing whatsoever. Here's a link that shows 4 different ways to do short rows. You can watch the whole video if you want; but advance it to the 5:58 minute mark to see the bobby pin method which I found is the most invisible of all the methods.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Thanks for the link to 'bobby pin short row method',that was really easy to follow,I'll definately do that method! I had a little smile & wondered if I should call it 'hairgrip short row method' but doesn't have the same ring,does it? ????

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Liat Gat (do I have that right?) has very nice toe up sock patterns in fingering, sport and worsted weights. I have made a lot of the sport weight and there are some nice wool and nylon sport weight sock yarns available. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I love GSR- German Shorr Rows. I had real trouble with Wrap and Turns. The. Staci Perry came out with a video for YouTube which gave step by step instructions and I haven't stopped knitting socks since then. Now they are easy to do with the GSR technique.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom