Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started knitting the back section of a short summer cardi/shrug type sweater. I'm not using a pattern, want to knit something original. I'm using Boucle yarn, size 13 needles, k1 p1 stitches. I'm getting bored (now into about 7" of work), and would like to add little holes to the stitches. I'm a fairly new knitter, not familiar with all the great stitches that are available, just know k and p basics. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance

:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( How many stitches to you have on the needle?

That would make a difference for one to write you a pattern.......

ibe1946 said:
I have just started knitting the back section of a short summer cardi. I'm not using a pattern, want to knit something original. I'm using Boucle yarn, size 13 needles, k1 p1 stitches. I'm getting bored (now into about 7" of work), and would like to add little holes to the stitches. I'm a fairly new knitter, not familiar with all the great stitches, just know k and p basics. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance

:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((((( Not sure here.......

Laciness can be created by adding YO/s periodically over a row which adds a stitch, makes a hole (on purpose)) and then doing a K2 or P2 tog gets you back to square one. Each YO must be decreased.

Perhaps an experiment after a K1,K2 seauence width of your choice over an even number of stitches using K1, YO, K2 tog....repeat across for a bit......the second row will start to show you the laciness..........

ibe1946 said:
I have 64 stitches, as I like very loose sweaters.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
e.ridenh said:

Laciness can be created by adding YO/s periodically over a row which adds a stitch, makes a hole (on purpose)) and then doing a K2 or P2 tog gets you back to square one. Each YO must be decreased.

Perhaps an experiment after a K1,K2 seauence width of your choice over an even number of stitches using K1, YO, K2 tog....repeat across for a bit......the second row will start to show you the laciness..........

ibe1946 said:
How is a YO done? Where can I find instructions? Would love to learn.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( Surf for the info:

English YO youtube right handed (or left)
Continental YO youtube (same)

So, the YO is accomplished in many ways and depends on the method of knitting you use.

If you're Russnan, Peruvian, Portuguese, Norwegian, commbined, eastern continental or other methods, you need to add that country to the search and also note if you're right handed (in some cases).

English knitting = throwing with the main hand. Working yarn is in the main hand.

Continentental knitters have the working yarn on the opposite side as if to crochet.........so, the YO is accomplished in a different way from English.

So..........a video is the best way to go as you didn't tell us, I think, which method you use or which hand.

English method depends on where the yarn is on the last stitch, too. You can YO in the purl position, too and it's best to surf for a video then add your specs.

It's had to write it in text, also.

Taking a chance here and assuming you are a right handed knitter using the English throwing method and your yarn is in BACK of the work:

Just bring the yarn forward (YF or YO) between the two needles. As you make the next stitch, it does an extra wrap of yarn which makes the YO (yarn over) hole and adds and extra stitch which needs to be reduced by K2 tog (knit 2 together (or purl) - it depends on what your next stitch is as you're in a K1, P1 ribbing as I recall. So, that would be another video to seek out.

See how hard it is to write it? LOL!!

If you're a right handed Continental knitter and with the yarn in back, just wrap the working yarn over the needle from front to back CCW (counter clockwise) and make your next stitch = increase made. K2 or P2 together.

Good luck & Wahooo! LOL!!

quote=ibe1946]
e.ridenh said:

ibe1946 said:
How is a YO done? Where can I find instructions? Would love to learn.[/quote]

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesss!!! That is hard to put in words. I will SURFFF, lol. Need to visualize this.
I do R, English, English method. (yarn in back).

You are extremely helpful, appreciate your help immensely!! Thanks so much. Will give you progress report and post a pic for you to see as soon as I've advanced my newly learned "YO."

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( You're welcome! And I was serious! @@ LOL!!

Hey, don't do two YO/s in a row YO/s, though (unless the pattern governs otherwise); That would make a YO YO! LOL!! Did I just make a new knitting joke? LOL!!

Okie.....RH, English thrower.

YO (to yarn over) = YB (yarn in back in knit position):
Bring yarn from back to front between needles and
make next stitch = YO made + adds one ST & creates
a hole (on purpose). Decrease later

YO from purl position (you've just done a purl stitch and
yarn is in FRONT.
** Wind working yarn around right hand needle from
front to back (CCW; counter clockwise) and do the
next stich called for in the pattern.

Hubby just made Beef Burgandy and it's ready; I'm otta here! LOL!!

ibe1946 said:
Yesss!!! That is hard to put in words. I will SURFFF, lol. Need to visualize this.
I do R, English, English method. (yarn in back).

You are extremely helpful, appreciate your help immensely!! Thanks so much. Will give you progress report and post a pic for you to see as soon as I've advanced my newly learned "YO."

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((((((( Got another for you I just invented (sorta) the other day and posted it:

How many blondes who knit/crochet does it take to change a light bulb?

Two: One to change it and one to replay the youtube video.

(:)^#* ))
LOL!!
ibe1946 said:
Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Lucky you :thumbup: :thumbup: ENJOY!!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
A yarn over creates a small hole (and an extra stitch so you have to decrease somewhere, maybe knit 2 together). I'm fairly new at this and I figured it out so it must be pretty easy!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Only 2? :D

kspat38 said:
always be making two acticles so you can switch when you get bored. at this time I am working on sweater, shawl , pillow and three afgans

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom