Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have tried everything to get the curling to stop on my MK stuff. but it still curls. just recently something i sold was brought back because it wouldn't stop curling on the customer.
BTW everything means i have tried crocheting the edged doing a rib on the edges. steaming the fabric. using fabric softer.
i thought maybe it has something to do with how i have the machine set up to do knit but not sure what i could do differently in that department.
frustration is starting to make me just want to go back to hand knitting. which would be a shame because using the machine is really fun while in the process of knitting the object.

my machine is a singer155 flatbed

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 155 is a bulky punchcard machine without a ribbing attachment. Because all the fabrics are variations of stocking stitch they are all inclined to curl. Rib bands are usually added by hand knitting or by dropping certain stitches and latching up on the machine. I would say that tuck stitch usually has the least curl of the available fabrics. Scarves and shawls knitted in some acrylics can be pressed flat as the iron kills the fabric. The advantage of a bulky machine is that if latching up or any other manipulation of stitches is needed, there are fewer stitches and rows than a standard gauge. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am new to machine knitting but the one thing I have noticed is that I do a tuck stitch on the ends. The other thing I have noticed is that I use the latch tool to cast on and do a manual cast off. When I am casting off once I get a few stitches in. I do hang the last one back On the needles so that I don't pull it so tight. I rehang some of the stitches as I go to make sure I am not pulling it so tight as to make it curl. That leaves nice finished edges and my things lay flat. There is no need to do anything else for the edges they look great.

After saying that it might help to know what your making.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You are not alone! Yes, it is frustrating. I gather it is a universal problem, and eventually, I learned that I have to respect the fact that it IS MK, and I will have to deal with curling edges on flat pieces. I crochet and steam, but have a few items I will never try to sell because of the curling edges.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chickkie said:
If you leave the third stitch from each edge out of work, the two outside stitches will curl nicely, and the rest of the item should lay flat.
oh OK I'll try that. do you leave it in the D position or A position? thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
littlemissxmas said:
I am new to machine knitting but the one thing I have noticed is that I do a tuck stitch on the ends. The other thing I have noticed is that I use the latch tool to cast on and do a manual cast off. When I am casting off once I get a few stitches in. I do hang the last one back On the needles so that I don't pull it so tight. I rehang some of the stitches as I go to make sure I am not pulling it so tight as to make it curl. That leaves nice finished edges and my things lay flat. There is no need to do anything else for the edges they look great.

After saying that it might help to know what your making.
Depending on the machine, to do a latch tool bind off without being too tight, you should bind off around the posts. If you need pictures let me know.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i agree, reforming is very helpful and i too have found manual cast on and off helps a great deal. with blankets i make sure and put a unique edge or band on those so they don't curl, the fishermans edge is a great one, of course that's reformed stitches.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pksgirl said:
i agree, reforming is very helpful and i too have found manual cast on and off helps a great deal. with blankets i make sure and put a unique edge or band on those so they don't curl, the fishermans edge is a great one, of course that's reformed stitches.
fishermens edge? :? :?:

·
Registered
89 Posts
oh sorry i meant fishermans rib, and i promise it does not curl. it is an edge stitch is what i meant to say. if you would like the directions i will be glad to post them :lol:
"bond stitch encyclopedia volume 2 ((ribbings))"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom