Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some troll dolls on ebay. When I got them and unwrapped them, they had a smell that made me recoil, it was so rank.
I thought it might be the hair but I took the hair off of a couple of them and they still smelled.
I have boiled the troll dolls with no hair - still smell
I machined wash them with bleach and laundry soap - still smell
I put "shout" on them and rubbed it into the troll doll hair and machine washed them - still smell
I machine washed them one more time - still smell
Right now they are in exile in the garage.
Any advise would be so appreciated.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
Try putting them in a sealed container with either baking soda or coffee grounds for a few days.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You might try putting them in a tightly sealed plastic bag with a bar or two of Irish Spring soap (the original green). I have used this method to deodorize fabric, quilts, and even books. Time required varies a lot, from a week or so to months, depending on the cause of the odor. Once the item is deodorized to your comfort, just let them air out. The smell from the soap just dissipates, and fairly rapidly too.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Baking soda sounds good, but apples were what worked removing skunk smell from my car after my dog took a direct hit. Just be sure to check on them frequently. If the apples rot, you will have a new problem.

·
Registered
17,788 Posts
I bought a neoprene little zipper pouch. Oh boy it smelled. I let it air out in the garage for about 1 month. It still smelled. I sealed it in a zip lock baggie with a damp cloth of white vinegar. I kept the cloth from touching the pouch. Left that for 1 week. Let the pouch air a bit. Finally the smell was gone.

·
Registered
224 Posts
the website listed above about trolls and odors Norton promptly called my attention to it being a malicious web site and highly recommended that I avoid it. Maybe the $50 was worth spending to get the warning so quickly.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
ollie said:
the website listed above about trolls and odors Norton promptly called my attention to it being a malicious web site and highly recommended that I avoid it. Maybe the $50 was worth spending to get the warning so quickly.
And that just proves the difference in security software. My Trend Micro found it safe.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Some time back, I purchased two beautiful sun dresses at a yard sale. When I got them home, I found that they really smelled bad. I found a site on the internet that explained what to do. Put the dresses in a washer, add vinegar with the wash water and let them sit for about 1/2 hour. (I let it go longer, just in case). Then, add your washing detergent to the vinegar water and wash as normal. Took that horrible smell away. Can't remember the quantity of vinegar used or the site, but a google search will help. Good luck and if all else fails, ask to return the dolls.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I would say the stench might come from the material the troll is made of, there will be not much relief from the smell if that be the case, good luck with all the suggestions.

·
Registered
17,788 Posts
What do you do with troll dolls with no hair? Their hair is important.
LMAO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom