Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you go about knitting a gift for someone in your household without them finding out about it? My partner is kind of curious about what I'm knitting and I'm knitting him a scarf and just said I don't know who this is for yet....don't think he bought it though. What do you guys do?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Because I am new to knitting, Mr 10 (grandson) is very interested in whats happening with all that yarn and those needles. I have begun knitting for local charities and have a basket where i put the finished items. There is already a beret for him that is hiding in the charity basket.I am currently knitting a jumper(sweater)for him, but he thinks it is for charity. I suspect that this will be the only year that I can get away with it, but it is working for now.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
OMG! You two are too funny! I do the the same thing. While I am knitting something I already know in my head who it is for... but if anyone asks, I just say "I'm not sure yet. OR Oh, it's for so and so", knowing full right it's for the asker. Hey, we knitters can't always be 100% honest. :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
I just went through this in a different way. I am making little Christmas gifts (scrubbies, pot holders etc.) for people around me. Some from my church group, some good friends, and some family gifts. I called and asked around to all of these people to find out what they really wanted. " I said I am making some gifts for people at church. I was thinking about making one of these four things what do you think would be nice to make? " It comes out right away what they do and do not want. It works well because I am not committed to making them a gift if I don't have the time but If I can get to it I know what they want . I have a list made with peoples names on it, what they like and what colors they think are pretty. I spent about two days doing this before I ever got out my yarn and needles. They even see me working on their things but I am of course making it for my sister or for someone at church. If they say that is really cute I know they are going to like their gift.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was kind of sneaky with my best friend. I was looking for yarn with her and casually picked up the yarn I was making a scarf for her in and she was like "Ooh that's a pretty colour". So I knew that she'll like what I made.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Around here.... nobody asks, nobody cares. They are just thrilled I am knitting and not talking. Or bothering them. Or asking them to do something. I have never been asked.

Even if I said "How do you like this scarf I am knitting"? No one would ask who it is for.... boy.... I live with a bunch of jerks!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I had this problem a few years ago when my husband was working away from home. I started knitting a jumper as a Christmas present for him: it was a complicated pattern, in 4-ply (sport weight?) pure wool, and as he is a large gentleman, there were a lot of stitches on the needles. A perfect project for those long winter evenings when I was home alone...Then suddenly, his contract came to an end and he was back home. I hid the knitting in a drawer until I could find a suitable time to work on it, and there it stayed for several years. Eventually, I pulled it down and had enough yarn to knit several other garments for myself and the grandchildren. I have never since attempted to knit anything for my husband, as a surprise or otherwise.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I can knit hubby a jumper or cardigan and he will never know it is for him. He just doesn't ask what I am knitting. I must be lucky. He did ask who I was knitting the baby outfit for the other day but that was the first time.

·
Registered
776 Posts
When my Five children were young, I was always knitting for one or the other. When they asked me what I was knitting I replied, "Sleeves". They were either confused or uninterested after that and didn't ask follow up questions. Now its a big joke in the family. When I'm knitting the question is ,"who are the sleeves for".

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I have quite a few projects going at the same time and also do some charity knitting - so noone really asks me what I am making or who it is for except for my oldest daughter, but she does not live at home any longer. So I can get away with just about anything.

·
Registered
15,847 Posts
I was thinking about making my husband a new afghan, but that wouldn't be a problem because he works part time so he is gone 4 1/2 hours, five days a week. However, he hardly ever uses the one he has. The man is a human furnace. He still has a sweater I made for him 40 years ago. He only wears a hat when snowblowing and never wears a scarf. He lives in short sleeve shirts year round.

My daughter is at work all day and takes classes at night working towards a second degree. Even living with us, I hardly see her, so no problem knitting for her.

One of my sons, DIL, and two granddaughters are always popping by, but I always have 2 or 3 project bags going, so I can quickly hide a bag when I see them coming in.

The four grandsons, two other sons, and DILs live out-of-state, so no problem there either.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I knit my husband a sweater for Christmas last year right in front of him. He was none the wiser. He doesn't ask much about my knitting so I never had to lie to him about it. We've had a long running joke that he thinks he's more observant than me. Yeah right!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Years ago I knit a seater jacket with deer etc on it - got up an hour early and knit. Making jackets for kids meant taking the project to work and knitting thru lunch hour!! Everyone was surprised and said when did you do this? At home 'in public' I was knitting afghans for all to see!

·
Registered
15,107 Posts
I found if you want to hide something do it under their noses. If asked just make up some story. I have a lot of things going to children that get no Christmas...so my grandson thinks. He buys it so far. Thing is he then wants to be of help. So I have to find a project for him to keep his hands busy. Those things I later suggest giving as gifts or I save them for the next Christmas.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Granalou said:
When my Five children were young, I was always knitting for one or the other. When they asked me what I was knitting I replied, "Sleeves". They were either confused or uninterested after that and didn't ask follow up questions. Now its a big joke in the family. When I'm knitting the question is ,"who are the sleeves for".
Giggle, giggle, giggle. I love your story. Should anyone EVER bother to ask what I am knitting, I will use your strategy. I doubt I will ever need it though. Thanks for the story.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I go to various knitting groups at other's homes or to LYS that haas drop-in times on varied days. It really is good to schedule these times for "Me time" knitting. I live alone so have no need to "hide" my knitting but find that the public knitting goes better/faster because people follow up with questions to see the finished project. Good luck finding a place to knit in "secret"!

·
Registered
173 Posts
AmyKnits said:
Around here.... nobody asks, nobody cares. They are just thrilled I am knitting and not talking. Or bothering them. Or asking them to do something. I have never been asked.

Even if I said "How do you like this scarf I am knitting"? No one would ask who it is for.... boy.... I live with a bunch of jerks!!!!! LOL
I've been knitting in my husband's presence for 48 years and he has never once questioned me about my knitting. I am thinking perhaps he thinks the needles are extensions of my fingers with the yarn being some of my veins and arteries. No interest, whatsoever, and that's fine with me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom