Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been knitting with wreckless abandon since around the age of 7. Unfortunately, I grew up and became the total perfectionist and that wrecked everything. i did knit some simple lace-patterned scarves for Christmas, which led me into other "simple lace" patterns, which have me stumped. Concentration is my biggest problem at the moment. I do belong to a group that knits care shawls for hospice, and the pattern I use for my shawl is fairly mindless, and turns out a nice, fluffy, warm shawls. I want to do more lacy things, however, and get an inventory that I can sell at our local arts cooperative this fall!
"

· Registered
390 Posts
Welcome Valentine! Would love to see pics of your shawls...they sound really nice! Been thinking of trying a shawl myself, but would need a really simple one to start. Is your pattern one that you could share?
Julie

· Registered
2,320 Posts
Welcome from Rae in NC : )

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
I got my shawl pattern from "Back on Blossom Street", which is a mild romance novel by Debbie Macomber. Will saying that keep me from getting in trouble with the copyright police.
Anyway, we knit our prayer shawls in acrylic because they have to be washable and dryable. I think any Bulky yarn would work just fine.
You'll need three skeins of bulky weight yarn (185 yards each), size 13 circular needle (29"). I don't worry about the gauge.
Cast on 1 st.
Row 1: Knit into the front and back of st (inc. made) You have 2 sts
Row2: Increase, K1. You have 3 sts.
Rows 3-6: Increase, knit across. End up with 7 sts.
Row 7: K3, YO, knit across to end of row.
Repeat row 7 until the shawl is the size you want (about 32"). end with an even number of sts.
Next Row:K3, YO *K2 tog, YO; repeat from * across to last 3 sts, K3.
Next 4 Rows: Increase 1, knit across
Bind off row: K2 Tog, *K1, pass second st on right needle over first st. repeat from * to last 2 sts. K2 tog, finish off.
It's like the perfect shawl to knit when you might have distractions. The only thing I have to worry about is the YO after the 3rd Knit stitch at the beginning of the row.

· Registered
6,868 Posts
love her books!.
There is a great free pattern site called www.crochetpatterncentral.com and sister site www.knittingpatterncentral.com that has patterns galore. All are included in a pattern directory.

one of the prettiest shawls I did was with a shiny ladder yarn [ Eros or Dazzle ] about 3 balls worth. the pattern was from lion yarn but it's the same general one - start with 1-3 or 5 stitches [depending on yarn size] increase by yo one stitch each side, 1 or 3 stitches in and knit all stitches. Fringe the sides.

I am hoping to do a lace weight shawl sometime - but the patterns are difficult. Am working up to it by doing simple lace cowls, scarves, and stoles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom