Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

· Registered
11,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Goodwill shopper and made quite a coup yesterday as follows. These were all in one lg. plastic bag..14 prs. sraight needles, 3 afghan crochet hooks, 3 embroidery hoops, 34 filled knitting bobbins, 3 unopened cards of bead cord, pkg. of elastic, spool of thread, 1 skein embroidery floss and 8 single knitting needles (can use in garden). Are you ready? $2.99! Also, 2 bags of full skeins of yarn @ 99 cents each bag. It's my "toy store" or "bargain basement"..some amazing finds..so check one out. Hildy

· Registered
1,610 Posts
You lucked out, Hildy... my daughter in law gave me some needles that were her Mom's last time I visited... and I find yarn at thrift shops once in a while. It has been a while.
I do find gorgeous fibers in sweaters for a very low price.. sometimes I can re-use the yarn... other times I just take it apart and transform them into something else.
Time flies, I'm happy, and sharing and chatting with y'all lovely ladies makes it perfect.
Hugs to all,
May

· Registered
2,193 Posts
I love thrift stores too! It's our hunt. Men hunt game, women hunt bargains. Every time I visit another city, I make a b-line to the nearest thrift store. The two best cities I have found for thrifting are St. Louis and Chicago. In St Louis on two blocks, you have Goodwill,Salvation Army. and St Vincent de Paul . In Chicago you have the Villages. They have half price day, color tag mark downs and 2 for one days. The last time I was there th ey had so many things they had all of the discounts on the same day.

· Registered
926 Posts
hildy3 said:
I'm a Goodwill shopper and made quite a coup yesterday as follows. These were all in one lg. plastic bag..14 prs. sraight needles, 3 afghan crochet hooks, 3 embroidery hoops, 34 filled knitting bobbins, 3 unopened cards of bead cord, pkg. of elastic, spool of thread, 1 skein embroidery floss and 8 single knitting needles (can use in garden). Are you ready? $2.99! Also, 2 bags of full skeins of yarn @ 99 cents each bag. It's my "toy store" or "bargain basement"..some amazing finds..so check one out. Hildy
yes same here in my area.. I really get a lot of my supplies at my Goodwill too.
And Clothes... don't pay full retail anymore.( ha except for underwear..hee hee)

· Registered
1,575 Posts
Ok...I give up...I have to say it...Every time I see one of your posts, I admire this beautiful kitty. Give her a treat from this fan. Her??

· Registered
79 Posts
Hildy, you really lucked out. I just recently started going to thrift shops regularly. I like to get wool sweaters to make into purses, hats, etc. Now I lose some of my best deals because my daughters look through what I bought and pull out what they want. Last week my 6th grader grabbed an orange J. Crew pullover that I fulled in the washer. She's Chinese-born and it looked fantastic with her skin tone and long black hair. And then my husband nabbed the Brooks Brother argyle sweater from E-bay. If I start finding needles and yarn I know my family won't take that from me. Momma Gail

· Registered
2,193 Posts
I have that problem too. Everybody wants a new sweater. I really buy a lot of sweaters so I pick out a couple and give them to the person that I kow will like them and I put the rest away. I have them in my craft room in large plasltic storage buried under other storage, yarn, etd and no one has gone thru them yet. Probably afraid of an avalanche.

· Registered
2,193 Posts
I have a nine year old rag doll with long hair and siamese coloring. His name is Mr Precious because the vet made a mistake when I rescued him. He was going to be euthanized the next day. Everyone was afraid of him. He is a very happy , loving gentle giant.

· Registered
11,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stay with us, Orene, "you ain't heard nothin' yet!" You are in the right place, but you have to be a little nuts! Hildy

· Registered
11,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, Madeline..please give your hubby my very best wishes..I don't do pain very well, so I empathize with him. He's lucky to have you and so are we..Keep in touch, friend..we will be here for both of you.. Hildy

· Registered
98 Posts
Love thrift stores...My ex-husband was a thrift store addict...I still have the furniture he bought at the Goodwill...It's in better shape than the new pieces that have been bought since...I never looked for yarn and needles/hooks, but you can bet your bottom dollar I will now

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom