Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend made up a couple of crocheted bookmarks for her very studious/serious 10 year old GD. She was very tactfully informed by GD that the bookmarks were a little too thick and would probably damage the pages.
Please take note :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
tryalot said:
A friend made up a couple of crocheted bookmarks for her very studious/serious 10 year old GD. She was very tactfully informed by GD that the bookmarks were a little too thick and would probably damage the pages.
I think the yarn needs to be a fine crochet cotton. There are some beautiful crochet bookmarks to make! :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lerryngal said:
I have just one word I'm afraid........ BRAT!!
Well, she's not really, just so very studious, loves her books, she was as tactful as a child her age can be (not very).
She wouldn't knowingly upset her Grandma. Not that Grandma WAS upset, she thought it all quite amusing - but tried hard not to show it

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'll let her off then Lol. However, I have been using the same crocheted book mark that my lovely Mom-in-law made for me over 20 years ago, and it has never caused any damage to any of my books, and I do love my books.
Mine's not made from any fancy lace yarn, just ordinary 4ply.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
It's nice that she loves books so much. I wish I could get my 11 year old son to read more. I read all the time but mostly on the Kindle so I have no need for bookmarks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My daughter is obsessed with books - she reads all the time. She will not use bookmarks that are thicker than paper because it "wrecks the page and puts pressure on the spine".

If only she would be obsessed with cleaning her room...

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
i'm obsessed with books, and very long time ago i worked in the libary i've seen all matter of things used as a book mark what gets me is dog eared pages,but i've never seen a book damaged by book marks, just plain ole worn out from being read,and i never break a books spine,good quality books lay open on their on

·
Registered
975 Posts
Sennaa said:
My daughter is obsessed with books - she reads all the time. She will not use bookmarks that are thicker than paper because it "wrecks the page and puts pressure on the spine".

I have a daughter the same. Always reading. Worried about wrecking the books but not worried about her clothes being wrecked on the floor of her bedroom. :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
tryalot said:
Can you get a picture of the book mark? Should have been made with #10 or #20 crochet thread and not yarn. I will hold my judgement of this child till I get a better description or picture of the object in question. TSK!!! :shock:

·
Registered
975 Posts
tryalot said:
That is gorgeous. My daughter is very protective of her books, thanks for the warning. :)

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I don't care for yarn bookmarks either as I have ripped, wrinkled and torn the top of pages with those darn things.

And if left in for a long period of time they mess up the page so they don't lay flat along the spine.

The thinner the better.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I never had any idea that a bookmark thicker than the paper could damage the book! wow, new to me.
and in reply to the original post:
I would teach my grand daughter that when she gets a gift, to say, "thank you" and take it and shut the heck up if she does not like it! I taught my sons that, and I am glad I did. now, if I could just teach my husband...
Sennaa said:

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
767 Posts
fergablu2 said:
It's nice that she loves books so much. I wish I could get my 11 year old son to read more. I read all the time but mostly on the Kindle so I have no need for bookmarks.
Read to him--or get two copies and let him read along...something exciting! My daughter and I read the Harry Potter series starting when she was in the 2nd grade...ask the librarian for something to read aloud to him!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Why is everyone believing an 11 year old. Bookmarks keep your place in a book. They can be made out paper, silver, gold, thread, and yes - Yarn. Just keep reading books.

I wear books out. I dog ear the pages, break the spines, shove them in my purse, curl the front to back when reading the first half and then curl the back to front in order to finish a book. I have torn them into sections if they are too big to carry. My books have coffee cup rings, food stains, grease spots and tears from when them make me cry. I do keep reading all I can get my hands on. They are my books.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nbaker said:
Why is everyone believing an 11 year old. Bookmarks keep your place in a book. They can be made out paper, silver, gold, thread, and yes - Yarn. Just keep reading books.

I wear books out. I dog ear the pages, break the spines, shove them in my purse, curl the front to back when reading the first half and then curl the back to front in order to finish a book. I have torn them into sections if they are too big to carry. My books have coffee cup rings, food stains, grease spots and tears from when them make me cry. I do keep reading all I can get my hands on. They are my books.
Oh dear!
I'm not the bookmark police!
Nobody said it was true, that they WOULD ruin the books, just passing on what this little girl said (and no, she is neither a rude nor ungrateful child)
I only posted it as I thought it was amusing how seriously this youngster cared for her books.
You can do what you wish, mark your page any way you want, as you say, they are your books

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom