Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting The Great American Afghan (published c. 2007 & not to be confused with Great American ARAN Afghan) as a Christmas gift for my DD. Square #6 by Maureen Egan Emlet has a K1-long stitch instruction that has me stumped. Have checked every how-to video & description on the internet I could find, but still nothing that shows me how to execute the pattern stitch instruction of "K1-long: K1 wrapping yarn around needle twice" found on Row 2. While this almost sounds like a double yo to me, it just results in gaping ladders when I come back over that stitch in row 3 where it tells me to do a 1/1 RSPC and "(on row 3, drop both wraps of K1-long)".
Just leaves me with a mess I keep ripping back to row 2 and doing over. So frustrated. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to properly "wrap the needles twice" so the result is the pretty floral-looking decoration that repeats up the entire left and right sides of the square??? EGADS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,411 Posts
As described, it is definitely a double wrapped stitch. Not quite a yo, because you do knit the stitch. You insert needle to knit, wrap the yarn twice instead of once, then finish executing the knit stitch. It definitely will make a longer stitch. When you cross it later, I suspect that extra length is a design elment for the crossed stitch. Do you have a picture of the square?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YES, jvallas, that's the one. I guess I'm just not "getting it" when it comes to wrapping twice around the K1...and then getting that elongated up & down stitch (mine ends up horizontal (forming ladders)...looking nothing like that stitch in the picture! Saw one video that looked as if instructor actually went into the stitch as if to knit, then wrapped around BOTH needles once, then just one the second time fore taking stitch off the needle...tried that with same ladder look. I'll keep trying, because there's just something in me that disallows giving up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,411 Posts
GGmaKnitter said:
YES, jvallas, that's the one. I guess I'm just not "getting it" when it comes to wrapping twice around the K1...and then getting that elongated up & down stitch (mine ends up horizontal (forming ladders)...looking nothing like that stitch in the picture! Saw one video that looked as if instructor actually went into the stitch as if to knit, then wrapped around BOTH needles once, then just one the second time fore taking stitch off the needle...tried that with same ladder look. I'll keep trying, because there's just something in me that disallows giving up!
That twist on two needles is different, and will be longer. Trying to figure out how to better explain it or what to search for on YouTube. I'll take a quick look (or I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the stitch you want).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jvallas said:
That twist on two needles is different, and will be longer. Trying to figure out how to better explain it or what to search for on YouTube. I'll take a quick look (or I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the stitch you want).
Thx so much. I've searched the net using every description that came to mind, but so far couldn't find it. Sure appreciate the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jvallas said:
Now the wait begins for photos of the afghan!:sm02:
Oh, my, yes! The only thing I ask of you is PATIENCE...and lots of it! I wasn't an advanced knitter when I began this project, but darned well should be upon completion! Thanks again for all the help and encouragement. KPers are the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,411 Posts
GGmaKnitter said:
Oh, my, yes! The only thing I ask of you is PATIENCE...and lots of it! I wasn't an advanced knitter when I began this project, but darned well should be upon completion! Thanks again for all the help and encouragement. KPers are the best.
I'm the last person to expect you to hustle. You wouldn't believe how many WIPs I have! :sm02:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,450 Posts
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ClodeSuisse/the-great-american-afghan

Is the block you are working on pictured in that link. There is also a note on the page regarding that block. Is it possible that it is a bullion stitch??

March 21, 2012 = # 6 Maureen Egan Emlet Difficulty without being one, the bullion stitch .. !! After several attempts my sticth bullions were in the back of my square, I solved the problem by shifting the pattern of a row .. !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,450 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jmcret05 said:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ClodeSuisse/the-great-american-afghan

Is the block you are working on pictured in that link. There is also a note on the page regarding that block. Is it possible that it is a bullion stitch??

March 21, 2012 = # 6 Maureen Egan Emlet Difficulty without being one, the bullion stitch .. !! After several attempts my sticth bullions were in the back of my square, I solved the problem by shifting the pattern of a row .. !!
No, the stitch I had all the trouble with was part of the small floral motif that repeats all the way up both sides of the square (flanking the "anchor" portion in the center. Gee, I haven''t even gotten to the bullion stitch as yet ... I shudder to think! LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks so much, everyone, for the guidance. I've got the Square #6 K1-long stitch down now...but will probably be returning time and time again as I struggle through this afghan between now and Christmas! What would I ever do with my wonderful KPers!?!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,648 Posts
fshinbaum said:
What does "1/1 RSPC" mean?
It may stand for Right Slip Purl Cable over 2 stitches - these are the specific instructions: 1/1 RSPC - Sl 1 to cn, hold to back, sl1 ( on row 3, drop both wraps of K1-long); p1 from cn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,411 Posts
Hilary4 said:
It may stand for Right Slip Purl Cable over 2 stitches - these are the specific instructions: 1/1 RSPC - Sl 1 to cn, hold to back, sl1 ( on row 3, drop both wraps of K1-long); p1 from cn.
That's a new one for me. I think I'll bookmark this page in case I ever want to make a little flower leaf!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom