Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a tote bag to carry my map books, rain slicker, flashlight, extra socks and a myriad of other things I need. Got tired of replacing them every year so I made a HUGE felted tote from a sampler pack of Monteza Llama yarn. The yarn felted nicely but I did drop down 2 needle sizes for the cream colored portion...good guess it worked out perfectly.

Oh before you ask for a pattern, I made it up as I went along!

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Nicely done. I would love to work with llama or alpaca fiber, but everyone in my family is allergic to many of the natural amimal fibers. There's an alpaca farm about three miles away, and a number of my friends have llamas and/or sheep.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alpaca forms a "soft" felt and for this item I wanted a good, sturdy fabric. Llama tends to form a stiffer felt..good for bags, baskets, etc..

Alpaca has long been considered the "hypo allergic" fiber but it "sheds" so many find the fly away fibers annoying.

We are so blessed today to have so many "green" choices...soy, banana, sugar, corn and a host of others.

Thanks for the compliments on the color but I had no real choice there..it was a sampler pack that I picked up for less than you would imagine.

I'm fortunate I live in a part of the country where sheep, alpaca and Bison ranches are fairly common.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Really pretty colors. Looks like a good size to stash stuff in the car for my daily commute, although I will probably use a cheaper wool for that use.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
I would say you got a real steal.... That is a great price and the sampler pack colors are very pleasant together. The felting looks really good. I think the bag will be very durable. I would suggest a good heavy spray with Scotchguard as well.... Is the strap double or single? It is really attractive and the nice HUGE size would make it a HUGE favorite of mine.......

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Awesome bag, thank you for sharing. You do beautiful work.

Hmmm Llama is stiffer. Cool. Thanks for the info

I have two project to start; a gift if I can ever tie my friend down to what she wants and get her to come with me to choose yarn and a beaded shell (I have never beaded before) and then I want to make a felted project bag to carry my knitting in. Then on to the family's Christmas gifts...

It is still January and I have projects that will take me to Christmas AGGGGG I must have a few screws loose. Not :lol:

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had hung onto this sample pack for a while, waiting for the right project to come along. When my last tote bag started getting ragged I vowed to make a good sturdy one.

In the future I'm going to keep an eye out for sample packs, this one sure turned out to be a bargain.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
That is really nice, Courier! I have yet to try felting, but I want to try it one day, probably after I have a huge stash of yarn, as well as my own hand knitted sweaters! That may take a minute or 2, LOL.. By the way..Did you ever give the beautiful cape to your granddaughter, I think? It was the mini cape? I think you made it in red for her, yes? I hope that I didn't get the recipient wrong! If I did, please forgive me.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My grand daughter loves her cape and the hat and purse I made for her. You got the recipient right. She said she feels like little Red Riding hood. My Godmother went nuts over the same cape I made for her. Told me she wore it to every relatives house she visited over the Holidays to "show it off". She wore it on the train to go into the city shopping with my cousin and said everyone complimented her on it. My cousin emailed me and said her mom couldn't wait to tell every person who complimented her that her God Daughter made it for her. My uncle, who is the family comedian had add "yeah and she drives a truck for living too!".

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
snowsaint said:
Nicely done. I would love to work with llama or alpaca fiber, but everyone in my family is allergic to many of the natural amimal fibers. There's an alpaca farm about three miles away, and a number of my friends have llamas and/or sheep.
Even people who are allergic to sheep wool can wear alpaca fiber. It contains no lanolin, and the individual shafts of hair are smooth rather than barbed like sheep wood. Please give it a try!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Love your tote Courier I've been making big ones too. I've also been making built in handles of 9 st ICord I run off a 7st strip on my machine and pull it thru the ICord before felting, It works great and if its a really large bag I do it around the top edge too,

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thats a nice size tote. Thanks

courier770 said:
I use a tote bag to carry my map books, rain slicker, flashlight, extra socks and a myriad of other things I need. Got tired of replacing them every year so I made a HUGE felted tote from a sampler pack of Monteza Llama yarn. The yarn felted nicely but I did drop down 2 needle sizes for the cream colored portion...good guess it worked out perfectly.

Oh before you ask for a pattern, I made it up as I went along!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom