Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
I always wrote the pattern on 3 ring binder paper. I made sure that every row started at the margin. As I finished knitting each row, I put a small mark in the margin beside that row number. Not quite as neat as this idea, but it did work for me.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I do this all the time. It works really well with charts too. I just use a sheet of paper from my printer, turn it horizontally and cut. If you are working on more than one project you can make one for each pattern.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Great idea. I also like using the highlighter tape that I found in my LYS. It is see-through, repositionable and comes in several colors, so you can easily identify special parts of the pattern. If I am making something from a magazine or book, I copy the pattern so that I can make notes, or mark out sections that don't pertain to my size without compromising the original page. Then I use the highlighter tape to mark the section of the pattern that I am using so my eye goes quickly to it. I cut it in half to highlight rows of instructions - replacing the piece of tape to show the next row I am to knit as I move along. And don't forget sticky notes. When I have a pattern that says "do x every other row 10 times, then every 4th row 3 times, I put the sticky note on the page itself, and do tick marks. Between that and the highlighter tape (which shows up just like highlighter pens do)I have cut down drastically on knitting the wrong row or the wrong part of the pattern. I have a very good app on my phone for doing this as well, but I really like having all this information right on the page I am knitting. If the pattern calls for 15 or 20 rows of design, but it just says "repeat row 1 5 times", I simply write it out in a notebook so that every row has a complete instruction, and then I move my highlighter tape as I start a new row. Another use for stickies--cover up parts of the pattern you aren't using so you don't accidentally follow the wrong instructions. The stickies or the highlighter tape works especially well on charts.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Good idea. Thanks for posting. If I do Aran or lace knitting or some fair isle knitting I write each row on a separate index card and number them. Then I write notes to myself on the backs of the cards. As I finish a row I move that card to the bottom of the stack. I'll have to give the row marker card a try. It sounds easier.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
very good idea, thank you very much for turning a light bulb on in my head, I'm going to cut out the back of my cereal box to 8'x11' and try it to follow my graph pattern I'm working on a Green Bay afghan. Got to find me a jar for my corn flakes

·
Registered
396 Posts
yooperdooper said:
very good idea, thank you very much for turning a light bulb on in my head, I'm going to cut out the back of my cereal box to 8'x11' and try it to follow my graph pattern I'm working on a Green Bay afghan. Got to find me a jar for my corn flakes
I like this idea too.

Yooperdooper, how about zip-lock bags for the corn flakes?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Oh thanks for all the great ideas ladies/gentlemen!! I have had a problem getting older with glasses and skipping lines .. What a headache .. These tips all help tremendously !
Thank you !!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom