Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Two separate people asked me to make them some earrings from real green beetle wings this Christmas...

I was happy to, although I hadn't made any for a few years.
This is what I wrote on my shop listing, in case anyone thought I killed them to get the wings!

"Amazing iridescent green beetle wings!

You might be concerned about my using the wings of beetles in my jewellery.

These beautiful green beetle wings come from Thailand, where it's the custom to eat insects like these.

These beautiful wings are a by-product of the food industry there, and would normally be dumped as trash...

I think they are a stunning example of the colours and beauty of God's creatures,
and it would be a shame not to preserve some of them!"

The wing cases are fragile-looking, and very light, but amazingly strong and flexible. I have only broken one so far while drilling holes in at least 50.

The colour-play is stunning. (Two first pictures...)

The weather has just been wet and windy and dull here for the last few weeks, so I have had a bit more spare time to make things...
Here are some beaded memory wire bracelets, with antique bronze, antique copper and silver plated tube beads.

Font Art Electric blue Pattern Rectangle
Handle Bait Surface lure Body jewelry Jewellery
Organism Natural material Body jewelry Wood Jewellery
Body jewelry Natural material Creative arts Art Necklace
Hand Body jewelry Gesture Finger Creative arts
Hand Body jewelry Gesture Finger Twig
Water Hand Body jewelry Neck Fashion
Body jewelry Natural material Amber Wood Jewellery
Arm Body jewelry Human body Finger Dress

Green Natural material Azure Blue Creative arts

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Not at all! They are pretty strong really. I wrap them well and a few pairs have travelled to the US safely 😀

Such beautiful shimmering colours on those beetle wing earrings. Stunning work Hilary. The way you display your jewellery is gorgeous. I look forward to seeing the backgrounds as much as the jewellery itself….you are very talented. Jen.

Two separate people asked me to make them some earrings from real green beetle wings this Christmas...

I was happy to, although I hadn't made any for a few years.
This is what I wrote on my shop listing, in case anyone thought I killed them to get the wings!

"Amazing iridescent green beetle wings!

You might be concerned about my using the wings of beetles in my jewellery.

These beautiful green beetle wings come from Thailand, where it's the custom to eat insects like these.

These beautiful wings are a by-product of the food industry there, and would normally be dumped as trash...

I think they are a stunning example of the colours and beauty of God's creatures,
and it would be a shame not to preserve some of them!"

The wing cases are fragile-looking, and very light, but amazingly strong and flexible. I have only broken one so far while drilling holes in at least 50.

The colour-play is stunning. (Two first pictures...)

The weather has just been wet and windy and dull here for the last few weeks, so I have had a bit more spare time to make things...
Here are some beaded memory wire bracelets, with antique bronze, antique copper and silver plated tube beads.

View attachment 1277207 View attachment 1277208 View attachment 1277211 View attachment 1277212 View attachment 1277213 View attachment 1277214 View attachment 1277217 View attachment 1277218 View attachment 1277219
View attachment 1277222
Absolutely LOVE the beetle wing earrings!

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Such beautiful shimmering colours on those beetle wing earrings. Stunning work Hilary. The way you display your jewellery is gorgeous. I look forward to seeing the backgrounds as much as the jewellery itself….you are very talented. Jen.
Thank you Jen 😊

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Thank you so
I just put my order in. I can't wait to get them! I had put two sets of your earrings on my Christmas list but nobody got them for me. So now I am treating myself. I love your work. Thank you!
Thank you so much Carol!
I have the coupon code KPDISC10 for KP friends 10% discount, but it has to be applied on checking out, as Etsy deals with the deductions, so it's hard for me to refund the 10%. Sorry 🫤
What were the other earrings you liked? Interested to know. Hilary x

I have a couple of necklaces with butterfly wings. And they were not killed for their wings! Native American jewelry.

Reactions: bethshangirl
Thank you so

Thank you so much Carol!
I have the coupon code KPDISC10 for KP friends 10% discount, but it has to be applied on checking out, as Etsy deals with the deductions, so it's hard for me to refund the 10%. Sorry 🫤
What were the other earrings you liked? Interested to know. Hilary x
Trumpet flower teardrop and Connamera Marble teardrop bead with copper drop charms. I love ALL of your jewelry! Do not feel badly about the discount. Hopefully I will remember to use the discount in the future!

It is always so much fun to see what you create! Love the colors of the beetle wing earrings but not sure I would wear them (I just have this 'thing' with bugs - sorry but I know others will be looking great in them). I also love your bracelets - maybe 2023 will be the year I look through all my beads to try and make somethings with them (or find a friend that can use them).
Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us - wish I lived closer and could sit and watch you work

Discussion starter · #18 ·
I have a couple of necklaces with butterfly wings. And they were not killed for their wings! Native American jewelry.
Yes I have some of those too in my shop. I got the wings from a butterfly conservationist. All natural deaths. The blue morpho is my favourite.🦋
It is always so much fun to see what you create! Love the colors of the beetle wing earrings but not sure I would wear them (I just have this 'thing' with bugs - sorry but I know others will be looking great in them). I also love your bracelets - maybe 2023 will be the year I look through all my beads to try and make somethings with them (or find a friend that can use them).
Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us - wish I lived closer and could sit and watch you work
I wish you could too! I'd love to do workshops.
Nobody round here is that interested! But why not have a go? I get lots of my ideas from YouTube tutorials. x

• Love
Reactions: Nanknit
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom