Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just needed to sound off and share what I'm going through. I got fired Friday from my new job for making four data entry mistakes (in four weeks). There was no "This is where we need you to improve" or anything like that. There was only - "You're not perfect and we need perfect." I was shocked and saddened at loosing the job - it was the best pay I've had in over 10 years and I was thrilled. I was also doing the best I possibly could - who hasn't made typos? I am almost 65 and it's not so easy to get a job any more. I had this one because someone I know got my foot in the door. I'm so depressed now that I'm finding it hard to even get dressed. I feel so defective! And I feel like my best isn't good enough. Arguh!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Sounds like an excuse! Is there anything in their policy that states you can be fired for that? If you really like the job - follow up, ask to see someone and face-to-face register a complaint with the personnel Dept., question the policy and expectations and let them know you're willing ready and able but,are going to stand up for yourself & want to be treated fairly. Hang in there, put on something purple or red, eat some chocolate and hold your head high!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DeeDeeF said:
Sounds like an excuse! Is there anything in their policy that states you can be fired for that? If you really like the job - follow up, ask to see someone and face-to-face register a complaint with the personnel Dept., question the policy and expectations and let them know you're willing ready and able but,are going to stand up for yourself & want to be treated fairly. Hang in there, put on something purple or red, eat some chocolate and hold your head high!
Unfortunately it's a small privately-owned company - only 18 people. The owner is a bit of a jackass - everyone walks on eggshells and is afraid to speak, me included. But I actually loved the work and I feel so sad that it was taken from me.
Ya, don't worry - I am definately eating chocolate....

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
You might want to go to the labor board in your town. Good luck. I'm 69 yrs old, and know what you mean about it being harder to find employment. Good luck!

·
Registered
76,970 Posts
I am so sorry this happened to you. It's heartbreaking to get fired over 4 little typos. Pamper yourself during this rough time and KNIT!! It's really cheap therapy. It works for me. I had to leave my career behind due to Fibromyalgia 3 years ago. When I got a phone call telling me I was fired, I got depressed also.
But the knitting kept my mind of off the pain of the fibro and the hurt from being fired. I turned it all into something positive by knitting for charity and learning something new.
I hope you get through this. It's not easy finding jobs these days. I wish you the best.
Hugs,
Northwoods Gal

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Grandma Jan said:
Unfortunately it's a small privately-owned company - only 18 people. The owner is a bit of a jackass - everyone walks on eggshells and is afraid to speak, me included. But I actually loved the work and I feel so sad that it was taken from me.
I'm sorry that you lost your job. Think of it this way--did you really want to work for someone "who is a bit of a jackass" and where everyone has to walk on eggshells and is afraid to speak. Life's too short.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sine said:
Grandma Jan said:
I'm sorry that you lost your job. Think of it this way--did you really want to work for someone "who is a bit of a jackass" and where everyone has to walk on eggshells and is afraid to speak. Life's too short.
I know what you mean and believe me, I've told myself all that. It was a horrible situation (as an employee) but I need the income. So, as soon as it's replaced I know I'll be fine and maybe even drop them a little thank-you note for dismissing me.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I once took a job through an agency. At that time my typing skills were not good. I told them I was not a typist. After I was hired (supposedly as a bookkeeper), I was told I was hired to take the typist job! This was 40 years ago--no computers. Of course, I had to re-type stuff. I was fired within a week. Then the agency tried to come after me for the fee. I told them what to do with themselves. Near got a bill --never showed on credit, either.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
It's just a job. When a door closes a bigger and better one will soon open just for you. Meanwhile, do your best (for you) put one foot in front of the other, easy does it.
Pamper yourself with a bubble bath, a favorite magazine, your favorite drink. Buy yourself an "I WANT".

Chin up, smile; the rest just falls in place.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Grandma Jan said:
DeeDeeF said:
I'm so sorry to hear this. I too am almost 65 (next month) and can't even find a job to get my foot in the door ! The last job I had was with a small company and the owner/boss was not only a jack ass, but a red neck one at that ! He hired some of his old high school buddies that didn't know anything about the type of business he had..he hired these guys and is paying them a weekly wage and they do nothing, nor do they even know what to do ! But rest assured they all go deer hunting, beer drinking and car racing together each week ! For whatever reason this guy liked me (maybe because I knew TOO much); but we would hire other folks they would last about 4 weeks and he would fine a reason to let them go.....

I don't understand and have no solutions; all I know is that ONE day these folks will realize that older employees are the best employee's they'll ever find. When you say you made 4 errors in 4 weeks...wonder how many errors the other folks make in the same amount of time. I'm totally convinced that the guy I was working for didn't have a clue how to run the company (he had inherited from his dad)but was running it by the "seat of his pants" hoping for the best.

I hope you find something else soon. I so need a job myself and have gotten really discouraged over the lack of jobs for my age group. I have a great resume; paralegal, thoroughly experienced in real estate AND I have a background in construction management. Because of my experience and resume I think that I'm definitely over qualified and intimidate some prospective employers......

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Onestitch said:
Grandma Jan said:
DeeDeeF said:
I'm so sorry to hear this. I too am almost 65 (next month) and can't even find a job to get my foot in the door ! The last job I had was with a small company and the owner/boss was not only a jack ass, but a red neck one at that ! He hired some of his old high school buddies that didn't know anything about the type of business he had..he hired these guys and is paying them a weekly wage and they do nothing, nor do they even know what to do ! But rest assured they all go deer hunting, beer drinking and car racing together each week ! For whatever reason this guy liked me (maybe because I knew TOO much); but we would hire other folks they would last about 4 weeks and he would fine a reason to let them go.....

I don't understand and have no solutions; all I know is that ONE day these folks will realize that older employees are the best employee's they'll ever find. When you say you made 4 errors in 4 weeks...wonder how many errors the other folks make in the same amount of time. I'm totally convinced that the guy I was working for didn't have a clue how to run the company (he had inherited from his dad)but was running it by the "seat of his pants" hoping for the best.

I hope you find something else soon. I so need a job myself and have gotten really discouraged over the lack of jobs for my age group. I have a great resume; paralegal, thoroughly experienced in real estate AND I have a background in construction management. Because of my experience and resume I think that I'm definitely over qualified and intimidate some prospective employers......

Good luck to you.
And to you. You sound like you have a wonderful background and I just don't get why folks pass that by. It doesn't make sense to me to hire some young kid that will soon be moving on rather than a seasoned employee who will remain loyal and do a great job - like us! Good luck to you, as well.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I know that you will not want to hear this..but in the long run it would not have been pleasant working for a jackass..

take a deep breath and decide to not take this firing personally. It does sound like an excuse..and know that its your opinion of yourself that matters..not any one else's..and keep in mind that most people do not pay attention to jack asses comments anyway.

Have you ever wondered how the jack asses end up in charge?

Even in this bad economy my DD had a good friend who, took two part time jobs ASPA in order to quit working for an abusive boss..who was only a manager( not owner)..who got backed into a corner when just about everyone quit...hopefully the owner figured out who was the one who ought to have been let go.

·
Registered
645 Posts
My friend Gloria has a saying,

"God don't make no mistakes."

It has sure carried her through a heap of trouble and I have to admit it is a wonderful way of looking at things. Sometimes you just have to put some spin on bad things.

When you say that, and believe it, you can confidently go forward with a lighter heart and reach out to new things.
Good luck and blessings to you.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
seafox said:
My friend Gloria has a saying,

"God don't make no mistakes."

It has sure carried her through a heap of trouble and I have to admit it is a wonderful way of looking at things. Sometimes you just have to put some spin on bad things.

When you say that, and believe it, you can confidently go forward with a lighter heart and reach out to new things.
Good luck and blessings to you.
Your friend Gloria is so durned smart! I think I'll start saying that to myself and see how it changes things. One thing's for sure - I have to "snap out of it!"

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I think it all hinges on the fact that you knew someone who helped you get your foot in the door. So the boss did that person a favor, but he really didn't want to, and looked for as much evidence as he could in order to get rid of you. I don't think its about you at all.

I'm sorry that you lost a good-paying job.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom