Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If you are working with a "loom" (the kind with removable top & bottom, wires on the sides) rather than a "pin" (curved piece of metal), you could try tying a thread between the top & bottom, centered, and working your central column around it (pull it out later).

I have two pins, and at least 3 looms that I have acquired in some manner over the years, but I have never done hairpin lace. Must put it on the list to try. I imagine that like anything else, the more you work, the better you become.

Enjoy your day.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've made quite a few hairpin lace baby blankets with braided loops. It is a bit awkward at first, but with practice, you can become adept at it and move along quickly and evenly. Keep at it. It's worth it and the result is beautiful.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For me, the easy part seemed to be centering it. The terrible part was braiding the loops together, because I dropped some and found them later. Also my pattern had very poor instructions for finishing off the braided edge. This was some 45 years ago that I made one, and never another. Recently, a friend had a friend that wanted an heirloom blanket made new. It seemed to be the same pattern as the one I made (still have that pattern!) I googled hairpin lace and found excellent U-Tube videos and helps. The best one I thought was using a line of waste yarn so the loops don't get dropped, then pulling it out after braiding them. My friend never could get the hang of the crocheting around the frame, so she told her friend no deal.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I am probably from an earlier era, so I don't know about braiding the loops. I crocheted the loops as I was removing them from the frame. If I remember rightly, on the other side of the panel, I transferred it to a straight knitting needle so that I could crochet it to the new panel (when it was done). Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I enjoyed this many years ago. Made several afghans with worsted yarn. turned out nice and heave for winter blankets. Then a couple of years ago I saw a pattern for a vest. I think it was Oat Couture. I purchased the pattern and put it away in a very safe place for when I am ready. Now I never said what year I would be ready BUT I have it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Laujob said:
I am probably from an earlier era, so I don't know about braiding the loops. I crocheted the loops as I was removing them from the frame. If I remember rightly, on the other side of the panel, I transferred it to a straight knitting needle so that I could crochet it to the new panel (when it was done). Hope that makes sense.
Yes, that makes sense to transfer one side to a straight needle--except I would have dropped the needle out of where it was supposed to hold the place. Hence I like the waste yarn idea, if I ever make anything with hairpin lace again.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Laujob said:
If I'm reading this right you crochet one side of the loops as your removing it from the frame and so the loops don't all come off on the other side you transfer them to a knitting needle and then when you're ready to crochet the loops on that side you take them off the knitting needle as you crochet the loops.

I didn't get this at first what you said until after reading what someone else said when she said it made sense.

The pattern I'm following says to make 4 strips of 46 loops on each side and remove them from loom and slip stitch the loops and then put them together to form a square by sewing through the back loops. And then I have to edge each square.

I saw on youtube about crocheting the loops as you remove them from the loom and I like that way better but as I'm crocheting the loops on one side, the other side comes off the loom which is o.k. but a knitting needle is a good idea to hold the loops. Maybe I'll try that too.

As far as centering the loops, I try to get the first few stitches centered as I'm making the stitch and if it's not quite centered I try moving it to center it. I've tried starting it w/a slip knot but I like it better if I tie the first 2 loops about in the middle or center and then start the Hairpin Lace and try to have it centered when making the stitch and then the bottom or first knot that I tied needs to be moved to the center.

I have 3 squares done and 8 more strips except for doing the slip stitches on both sides of 1 of the strips and weaving in some yarn ends. I'm not doing it the same color the pattern says. There's a total of 20 squares.

I'd like to make the Hairpin Lace cardigan too.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
teresep6 said:
Yes, that makes sense to transfer one side to a straight needle--except I would have dropped the needle out of where it was supposed to hold the place. Hence I like the waste yarn idea, if I ever make anything with hairpin lace again.
What do you mean by using a waste yarn on Hairpin Lace?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
phunny bunny said:
If you are working with a "loom" (the kind with removable top & bottom, wires on the sides) rather than a "pin" (curved piece of metal), you could try tying a thread between the top & bottom, centered, and working your central column around it (pull it out later).

I have two pins, and at least 3 looms that I have acquired in some manner over the years, but I have never done hairpin lace. Must put it on the list to try. I imagine that like anything else, the more you work, the better you become.

Enjoy your day.
The loom I have is one that has a curved on one end and is 3 inches wide with a dowel on the other end so the stitches don't come off. Have a great day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Jean Marie said:
What do you mean by using a waste yarn on Hairpin Lace?
Waste yarn is a piece of any yarn you can throw away later. Smooth yarn works better than hairy. The piece of waste yarn should be a few inches longer than the strip you will be making. I frequently use embroidery floss, or crochet thread, or any thin yarn. Once you have a few loops crocheted on your hairpin or loom, then you would stick the one end of waste yarn down inside the loops on the side that will slip off. If you use a square loom you can just drop the other end over the top of the loom. With a curved hairpin, you might use a bit of tape to tape it to the top temporarily. Then you crochet as usual, just including the waste yarn inside the one set of loops. When you have finished the desired length, and are doing your crochet thing with one side of loops, your waste yarn holds the other side of loops together and in order. You pull it out and discard it or use it again when you have worked the 2nd side.
I cannot visualize the squares you are making, since they are different from anything I've seen. Do you have a pattern name or a link to an internet site?
hope this explains.
Sounds like your squares aren't extremely big. The baby afghan I made used baby size yarn and the strips were something like 40-50 inches long, so that was a lot of space to loose loops and make mistakes! Especially as a very young & inexperienced crocheter! :sm17:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
teresep6 said:
Waste yarn is a piece of any yarn you can throw away later. Smooth yarn works better than hairy. The piece of waste yarn should be a few inches longer than the strip you will be making. I frequently use embroidery floss, or crochet thread, or any thin yarn. Once you have a few loops crocheted on your hairpin or loom, then you would stick the one end of waste yarn down inside the loops on the side that will slip off. If you use a square loom you can just drop the other end over the top of the loom. With a curved hairpin, you might use a bit of tape to tape it to the top temporarily. Then you crochet as usual, just including the waste yarn inside the one set of loops. When you have finished the desired length, and are doing your crochet thing with one side of loops, your waste yarn holds the other side of loops together and in order. You pull it out and discard it or use it again when you have worked the 2nd side.
I cannot visualize the squares you are making, since they are different from anything I've seen. Do you have a pattern name or a link to an internet site?
hope this explains.
Sounds like your squares aren't extremely big. The baby afghan I made used baby size yarn and the strips were something like 40-50 inches long, so that was a lot of space to loose loops and make mistakes! Especially as a very young & inexperienced crocheter! :sm17:
It sounds like what they call 'guides' on utube and they also said that for beginners not to use guides. The pattern is in an old crochet book I have - (The 'I Taught Myself To Crochet' Book) It's the 'Hairpin Lace Afghan' pattern.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have done many afghans and baby blankets on a hairpin lace loom and they turn out so nicely. As long as you centre your single crotchet stitch in the loom it should come out just fine. Also, watch the beginning when you attach another strip to keep the edge straight. I always add 3 loops each side when I join it. Every other strip will be under the first 3 loops when you join and that should keep it straight. Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Jean Marie said:
It sounds like what they call 'guides' on utube and they also said that for beginners not to use guides. The pattern is in an old crochet book I have - (The 'I Taught Myself To Crochet' Book) It's the 'Hairpin Lace Afghan' pattern.
I actually found the pattern name and the book it's from, published by Boye in January 1975--unfortunately no photos shown and no Ravelers have done the project. It's all 0's.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Marjh said:
I have done many afghans and baby blankets on a hairpin lace loom and they turn out so nicely. As long as you centre your single crotchet stitch in the loom it should come out just fine. Also, watch the beginning when you attach another strip to keep the edge straight. I always add 3 loops each side when I join it. Every other strip will be under the first 3 loops when you join and that should keep it straight. Good luck.
Hi Marjh,
I'm doing 46 loops on each side. What do you mean that every other strip will be under the first 3 loops when I join?

I found I had a couple of loops twisted after I already took it off the loom and put slip stitches on the end of the loops so I decided to take it apart and fix it. It's not hard to take the slip stitches apart but have you ever tried taking apart a strip of the Hairpin Lace? It doesn't work too good.

Jean Marie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom