Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that my hand/lower arm are starting to feel a bit sore after I knit/crochet for a while.
I'm taking a break for a few days to see if it helps.
(I also work in computers, so I'm typing all day as well! But I mostly feel it after crafting. :()
Do you use a brace of some sort? Does it help?
Thanks!
Deb

· Registered
5,402 Posts
When that happened to me I found out I had carpal tunnel in both wrists and hands. The wrist splints I wore at night took away the symptoms so I didn't need surgery but now I limit the time I spend knitting or crocheting. I am on the computer for fun every day too and that also can cause the discomfort. My hands went numb and my upper arm hurt so bad I could not reach behind me but the pains went away after a month of ibuprofen and wearing the wrist splints. Look into carpal tunnel problems,your doctor can help and I hope you avoid the surgery.

· Registered
5,248 Posts
Definitely sounds like repetitive stress issues. There are good stretching exercises that can be done before and after keyboard and knitting sessions as well as periodically during. Wrist braces at night help too.

See your Dr about it and be sure to ask if physical therapy would help. Be sure that Dr and Therapist know you are on computer and knit so they can check the ergonomics of both activities.

· Registered
4,390 Posts
Carol J. said:
When that happened to me I found out I had carpal tunnel in both wrists and hands. The wrist splints I wore at night took away the symptoms so I didn't need surgery but now I limit the time I spend knitting or crocheting. I am on the computer for fun every day too and that also can cause the discomfort. My hands went numb and my upper arm hurt so bad I could not reach behind me but the pains went away after a month of ibuprofen and wearing the wrist splints. Look into carpal tunnel problems,your doctor can help and I hope you avoid the surgery.
My experience, too. I do wear gloves when I do a lot of hand sewing or knitting. It seems to help. The wrist splints go on at night if my wrists start acting up. At first I wore them every night for months, now usually a week or so when I notice symptoms returning. I've had them 8+ years now.

· Registered
1,265 Posts
Glad to hear the wrist splints work. Also diagnosed with CTS yesterday so out today to buy the gloves. Dr. Said to use the gloves at night to keep fingers and hand in straight position. Appreciate the advice and hope you find relief. Ione

· Registered
18,232 Posts
SavtaSoreget said:
Gloves? What kind of gloves?
There are fingerless gloves made out of stretchy fabric (probably spandex/polyester) that act a bit like compression socks.
They do help but if your pain is continuing, it's important to see a doctor
I use mine occasionally ... but I try to remind myself that I need to give it a rest for a bit and that helps....

google "fingerless gloves for stress" and you'll see several options.... often craft stores will have them too

· Registered
3,693 Posts
I too have problems and wear these gloves... http://www.handezegloves.com/

These are the original therapeutic gloves that other companies copied and I have noticed a difference between HandEze and other brands. These gloves saved me when I had such a bad RSI that my doctor couldn't help. I wore these day and night for 2 weeks and have only had intermittant problems since.

· Registered
4,390 Posts

· Registered
4,390 Posts
What works for one may not work for another. My Dr. recommended starting out with braces. (He prefers minimally invasive, so do I)If they didn't work the next step would be shots, lastly surgery. Braces worked fine for me, hope it stays that way. My friend had surgery because her Dr. felt the other options would just prolong the inevitable. She's glad she went with the surgery, I hope to avoid it altogether

· Registered
1,058 Posts
I've never been able to find a wrist wrap that applied support where i need it and they slip, so I use the stretchy, self-adhesive wrap you can buy at any drug store. I can remove it and if self adhesive quality stops working, I just use a little medical tape to hold the end down. Here's a picture of my wrap. Third picture down.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nittinnut/timberline

· Registered
12,145 Posts
As a Secretary, I do a lot of typing. Add the knitting on the bus to and from work, and my hands were getting a pretty hard workout.
Carpal tunnel struck, so bad that I literally could not open my hands except by painful force. Surgery was the only option left to me.

I had to wear a brace after diagnosis until the surgery. The brace helped a little, but not much.

I've had the surgery on both hands and have not had any more problems.

Each person's hand status is different. You and your doctor should decide which treatment is best for you. Don't put off seeing your doctor. It will only get worse.

· Registered
30,096 Posts
If you should need CTS surgery in the future, be sure you find a doctor who does the surgery without cutting your wrist open! This can take a long time to heal! I had mine done 20 years ago, My surgeon used a minimally invasive technique, and I was using it within a week. I have never had the slightest problem with it.

If the doctor tells you that you must have the open type of surgery, get a second opinion from another doctor who is not in the same office.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom