Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Cross-posted to the Machine Knitting board. )

It's Election Day in the US (and my name was on the local ballot for city council), so I'd like to poll those if you who started as avid hand knitters and then tried machine knitting.

Did you:

A. Hate machine knitting so much, you went back to strictly hand knitting.
B. Like machine knitting, but still prefer hand knitting.
C. Prefer machine knitting over hand knitting.
D. Love machine knitting so much you never hand knit anymore.
E. Like to get creative, combining both machine and hand knitting in a single project.
F. Other, please explain.

Thanks!
Lisa

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I won't say I hate the Machine Knitting machine...just because I can knit correctly without having the needles strip/break means I have a faster time without the machine.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Definitely choice A for me. I had been a knitter for at least 18 years when I bought a fancy Brother knitting machine. I got good enough results, but it was work, not fun. I donated it to the church thrift shop and hope someone liked it. That was in the 1980's, so the machine is probably obsolete by now, maybe even melted down for scrap!

·
Premium Member
80,964 Posts
I suppose machine knitting is more fun for some people, not me. I have a machine. I have set it up a few times. I am able to use it. I do not use it. I keep it just in case the day comes when I'm able to use it but not able to use two pointy sticks.

It's strange really, because I love machinery. I build my own bicycle wheels, repair whatever needs repairing around the house, have rewired small appliances since age 8. For some reason, working on a knitting machine (or a sewing machine) just doesn't grab me. I don't 'get it'!

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I have only dabbled in machine knitting and have a very basic one but I don't enjoy it nearly as much. Às someone said, it is work, and I don't want more work after a day of it! I also feel that there can be a sameness to the end results which is great if you sell your products but not so great if you wear them yourself. However, there are loads who do enjoy it so each to their own.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I had a machine about 35 years ago and used it a lot -it bit the dust about 20 years ago. I never really progressed with hand knitting (or wanted to) until a month ago when my youngest daughter (21 today) asked me to make her a sweater, and I haven't stopped. I had started doing some crochet about 5 years ago for novelty hats, mittens etc., and baby shawls for my eldest daughter and friends but hand knitting...No. I'm now hand knitting a lot.

I think HK and MK are very different skills. I loved designing when I had the machine and it was great to whizz through the boring bits - (Knit until work measures 3 miles) but machine knitting can be unsocial as you can't really sit with anyone else and chat while you knit, or watch TV.

I find hand knitting more of a challenge, and definitely feel more pleased with myself when I have mastered a new technique than I did with MK.

If I had the choice I would have both, plus a designated room for the machine and wool.

So I guess my reply falls into the 'other' category.

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
I bought my first knitting machine over 40 years ago, I loved it, stopped hand knitting,Got that machine out almost 17 years ago,when my GD was born ,all the clothes were to big,So I spent the weekend making smaller size sweater for her, I have had 2 machine since then,Just had to have a punch card machine,Made lot of sweater for my 2 GD,Now I love hand knitting ,can do that while watching TV,I leave my knitting machine ready for use,Put the lid on to save it getting dusty,But its ready for use,

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
F I think...

To me, the machine is for production knitting - when you need to get large projects finished quickly probably for sale.

I hand knit for pleasure. I am more of a process knitter. And I haven't quite yet figured out how to add the love in when I machine knit....

However, should I ever be in a position where I am unable to hand knit due to arthritis or other hand disability, I would still want to produce knitted items for myself and my family, which is why I did learn to and do have a machine. Also, if I am ever in a position where I need to do production knitting for income, the machine can help there, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom