Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished this blanket for my niece having her first baby. Purchased the pattern at e-patternscentral.com (http://www.e-patternscentral.com/detail.html?source=froogle&code=EK00194). Blocking the blanket afterward to open up the pattern made all the difference in the world!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
very pretty....I'm sure it will be treasured : )

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Okay I have a queswtion as a new knitter- when you block an item does it retain the shape even after wash/dry or what? Please explain to me the world of blocking!
Aside from that, the blanket it LOVELY! great job!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MsMallo said:
Okay I have a queswtion as a new knitter- when you block an item does it retain the shape even after wash/dry or what? Please explain to me the world of blocking!
Aside from that, the blanket it LOVELY! great job!
The blocked item will only retain it's shape until you wash it again. Once washed, you would have to re-block it while it's wet and let it dry -- much like having to re-shape a sweater or knitted item after you hand wash it. Much blocking information can be found on the internet. I'm new to blocking too and this item was actually my first attempt at blocking. It's very easy and makes all the difference -- it's just a little more time consuming than I'd like. Also, some knitting stores may offer blocking services for a fee but I'd rather save my money for the yarn. :)

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
well in that case I'll save blocking for later and focus on getting better at knitting and learning to crochet! Thanks!
My picture there is a blanket I just made for a friend, I didn't block it obvioulsy. I figured having it wrapped nicely would be just as good. I'd hate to get something hand made and wonder why I could never get it to look as straight and nice again after washing it! lol

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MsMallo said:
well in that case I'll save blocking for later and focus on getting better at knitting and learning to crochet! Thanks!
My picture there is a blanket I just made for a friend, I didn't block it obvioulsy. I figured having it wrapped nicely would be just as good. I'd hate to get something hand made and wonder why I could never get it to look as straight and nice again after washing it! lol
One more important thing.....blocking works based on natural fibered yarns. Not so much the case with acrylic yarns.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
glad i didn't waste my time then! was 75% acrylic!!

Jeannine said:
MsMallo said:
One more important thing.....blocking works based on natural fibered yarns. Not so much the case with acrylic yarns.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
janette carver said:
Oh, that is sooo pretty! Are you sure she's having a girl? LOL!
I made sure she was having a girl before I started knitting the blanket. The baby arrived the same time I finished the blanket -- talk about cutting it close!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom