Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD bought me a Harry Potter knitting book yesterday. My DC love Harry Potter. They look a bit difficult but will start with one of the scarfs. In the pattern it says to "twist the yarns when changing colors to prevent holes". Before I spend hours looking for a video to show me how to do this does anyone know how this is done easily or of a video link.
Thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't know for sure, but the way I've always done it when doing different colors is lay my inactive color over the active color before doing the stitch. This will sometimes twist the yarn, but it will also carry the yarn across the work until the next time you need it. My copy of Harry Potter Knits arrived a couple of weeks ago, and I've skimmed through it, but had too many other projects on needles to take a good long look through it. :)

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
A stitch or two before you get to the color change you twist the colors together behind your work. Give the working yarn a little tug as you do this. For a stitch or two after you switch colors you twist the colors also giving the new working yarn a little tug. This helps to keep the stitches tight.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I am planning to purchase that book as soon as I can -- my son will start work next week (YEA!) so the money will not be so tight any more because I won't be having to help them out. I was looking at it in the Hobby Lobby earlier this week. It won't be so expensive with a 40% off coupon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
:) Believe it or not, my husband just bought the Harry Potter knits book and brought it home! He wants the dark blue Severius Snape sweater with all the cables. :shock: :shock:

I'm not sure I'm all that talented to get that one accomplished. He gives me more credit than I deserve! PS - He has even found the yarn that it calls for - yikes! Am I in trouble or what?? :roll:

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
Kitty Liz said:
:) Believe it or not, my husband just bought the Harry Potter knits book and brought it home! He wants the dark blue Severius Snape sweater with all the cables. :shock: :shock:

I'm not sure I'm all that talented to get that one accomplished. He gives me more credit than I deserve! PS - He has even found the yarn that it calls for - yikes! Am I in trouble or what?? :roll:
Don't let cables scare you! it's all just knits and purls and moving stitches around - you can do it!

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kitty Liz said:

That's exactly how I felt when my DD gave it to me. Maybe we are both in trouble.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I've seen ads for this magazine/book, but haven't seen an actual copy yet, so I'm not sure what your problem is with the scarf. Is it fair isle patterning?

I've always made scarves like the ones in the movies. I'd like to use sport yarn, but usually I can only find the right colors in worsted.

I use a 16 inch circular needle in a size that's right for the yarn. For Worsted, I'd use a size 8. Cast on enough stitches for 16 inches of width (at 4 stitches to the inch, that would be 64 stitches) in the main color if there is one. I knit in the round for this.

For the scarf in the first two movies, I do 4 inches in one color, then 4 inches in the other, ending with the same color that I started with.

For the scarf we first saw in the third movie, I do 4 inches of the main color, 4 rounds in the contrasting color, 4 more in the main color, 4 in the contrasting color, and then 4 inches in the main color to the end.

Bind off, and close the ends by fringing.

For the scarf with the wide stripes, I tie the old and new colors and leave the ends hanging on the wrong side. For the one with the narrow contrasting stripes, I use the main color throughout without cutting it (carry it loosely over those narrow stripes), and tie in the contrasting color when it gets added and carry it up for the second narrow stripe.

It's really an elegant pattern. You don't have to darn in the ends, it's all knit, all the way, and it has no right or wrong side. It's very easy to do, too. It would be a great beginner project.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I first made Harry Potter scarves, I had a great deal of trouble with the edges rolling, even after blocking. I then started knitting them on round needles and the double thickness has been a big hit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom